Land Cruiser knowledge

IronMike

Morning all.

I’ll be placing my Logbullet order very soon, and subsequently I’ll need a tow vehicle for it. After speaking to a few folk and doing a bit of research myself, ive decided that a Land Cruiser Amazon is the best option for me. Nice big V8 diesel, comfy to ride about in whilst towing, and Toyota reliability.

My budget is around 10k, and I’ve got a fair few examples saved on my Autotrader, eBay and Gumtree accounts that I like to perv over on a regular basis.

I was wondering if there are any Land Cruiser owners out there (past and present) who could share any tips/experiences when buying and owning one of these beasts? 

Service history, timing belt change, overall condition are obvious ones to check. But is there anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by IronMike
Spelling

Don't have one but it will happen one day, from what I know they are capable of clocking unbelievable mileage. I know of two well over 400000 and both are virtually faultless, the rear airbags can go (suspension, not crash protection!) Some people replace this with a spring and damper system.. could be a sign of previous hard use.. sometimes its just a faulty level sensor.. you should notice the jeep sitting to one side at the rear if this is the case, also changing the water pump may be worth considering if you are unsure of its age or condition, it's the only thing I've heard of that can cause a real problem on them.ie having to stop on the roadside
A few little things can go like window motors and the lower speed settings on the heater fan.. check those minor things and it should give an overall view of the vehicles condition! They don't show wear too readily.. parts are expensive, Toyota's usually are. Could be worth looking for a non commercial one that has been used as a car, rare but they do come up. Rust killed some lovely 80 series, behind the rear wheels on the top half of the rear legs, just at the curve.. hard to see until it becomes an issue.
That's about all I know about them, oh and they are hard on fuel, don't let anyone tell you different!
Best of luck with whatever one you get!
Will be a savage looking setup, should colour code the trailer jeep and forwarder. Would really look the part then!

• Like 1

I had a 100 series for a couple years. I used to tow a 3.5t trailer often. They are a beast at towing and real nice to drive. Very heavy on fuel when towing or not. Parts are very expensive. Like Conor said the suspension goes as they get older and that cost £1000 a corner to replace so most people put springs on.  I would only have one if you needed to tow heavy other wise i would picker something more fuel efficient.  I spent about 13k. anything much cheaper seemed to be hammered.

landcrusier.jpg

• Like 1

Good knowledge, thanks both.

I’m going to be towing a fair weight to be honest, tri axle trailer and mini forwarder gonna be 3 tonne minimum I’d estimate. 

I have heard they are definitely a thirsty old girl! I’m planning (hopefully) to not be travelling too far with it. 

Ive been looking at some without a tow bar, working on the logic that they’ve had a fairly easy life. Some beauties around 15k.

What alternatives could I realistically consider?

13 minutes ago, billpierce said:

I'd consider an older Nissan patrol. Not had one but they seem well respected and used in similar situations as amazons/80 series

i guy who comes for logs has a nissan patrol on T plate he bought it new to tow a 20ft caravan and its only got 24k on the clock smuthered in wax oil under neath and every where you can put, he says back seats have never been sat in straight 6 diesel and it sounds the dogs, dry stored all its life and never goes out after october then comes out again at easter, there is not a mark on the body at all, but he wont sell it and hes 82 

• Like 4