File Holders and Handles

aesmith

1 minute ago, aesmith said:

Isn't that supposed to be the whole point, that it takes down the depth gauges at the same time?   However since we're discussing it, does this gadget take standard files, or do they have to be special one?   I was also going to ask if it can be used for different sizes but I see that's already been mentioned.  I'm not sure I'd want to splash out on two and at the moment I need to cover both 3/8" low pro and .325.

As always with these things there is a kick in the bollocks,there is files you can buy because normal ones are to long to slot into the holes and they are sold in sets of 2’s as is the guide bar file but are around the same price as standard files,or you can do what I have done is just grind a bit off the length...all in all they are such a good fileing tool I will not use anything else again.

39 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

Am not young and you can get them a lot cheaper then £34 get mine for less then £30 and another company who makes them in blue are around £24..they are really good and do a brill job of sharpening the teeth and and guides at the same time,if you try you will buy,,,guarantee it?

I'm skeptical on that as sometimes I like to take the rakers down to suit the timber being cut but , cant comment honestly  though having never tried one .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I'm skeptical on that as sometimes I like to take the rakers down to suit the timber being cut but , cant comment honestly  though having never tried one .

The best thing to do stubby is if you know someone who has got one is just to give it a try,as always the only way to find out is to have a go yourself and not by go on any other persons word,but I know you will be surprised at how good this tool is.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, aesmith said:

Those look like handles for normal metalworking files, intended to stay permanently attached.

I see as the threads moved on that you are probably going for the gauge which is fine.....

But the file your using is an engineers file, you are performing an engineering task by filing metal and these handles have been the industry standard for decades... .. the file is just tapped in by bringing the handle down on the bench whilst holding the file and can be easily removed if necessary.  Cheers

Learn the art of sharpening your saw!!!
It depends on where the pressure is applied with all filing.
Get a stump vice from China for £5.
The handle has feck all to do with sharpening well.
(See micks comment).
It's what you do with the file which counts.
Magnetic file angle attachments are good for beginners until you learn the 30 degree tooth.
A depth gauge measure device is essential.
Learn about the cutting tooth and how it works.
Best thing is to find someone local who knows what they are doing and get them to teach you.
It's not simple.
I've tried many different jigs over the years.
All crap.
I use a fixed workshop chain grinder or handfile freehand.
A file lasts about 100-200 teeth licked. As soon as it doesn't bite, bin it.
Good luck
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aesmith said:

I think there's a difference in that chainsaw sharpening files have quite a short life compared to general purpose metalworking tools where the file is more likely to outlast the handle. 

No difference at all...except to say that not all files are equal, there's a lot of crap tools out there and also much chainsaw chain is getting near to hardness limit of what a normal quality file can deal with which is why they have a shorter life than ..say if you were filing mild steel or many other metals.

The thing is, of all the cutting tools I've used over my working life, chain teeth have the only edge I can think of that CAN be file sharpened....Mr Hewn's advice is bang on....good luck.