HM 130 assembly

Johnsond

1 hour ago, agrimog said:

johnsond, good luck on your build, and have fun locating box for the bunks....lol....its a non prefered imperial size, ok in the states, but shit in europe........I know, I've had a look, it is available , but not easily, and look closely at your rail tops, again an imperial size, but they've been cut, not sure if plasma or mill, devious these canadians, as for the m16 bolts, these, as far as I could work out were just a handy size for making the leveling legs....size doesnt really matter as at that size, nearly everyhing is a 2 mm pitch

Hi Agrimog 

point taken but the bunks don't have to be an exact match for me as long as height is same and log support is in correct place. This would only ever be as a contingency to replace damaged parts or to dobthe occasional long log. Ref the rail tops one of guys I work with has a multi axis Bridgeport milling machine that could achieve whatever the top rail thickness is, same guy has his own cnc plasma cutter so I'm quite lucky in that respect. Regarding the use of M18 it's only really to use a slightly heavier bolt with a bigger head to get more weld on probs belt and braces but that's never a bad thing.  I'll throw a few pics up of the bottom frame once done, any comments are welcome. 

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_0223.thumb.JPG.e2331ce35b132a18e94c079556f32325.JPGManaged to get saw build completed today. Spent a lot of time making sure everything was square and set up as per book and online advice ie you tube. Had a nightmare with adjusting drive belt tension as as soon as I tried to set it the motor pulled off at an angle. In the past I've always altered positions or tensioned the belts on a stationary engine with at least a pair of bolts to push the motor square. I ended up making up two adjusters at opposing corners to make sure I could get the clutch square with the two band wheels as opposed to measuring from the engine mount plate etc. Proper pain in the arse but it worked out better in the long run. At some point I will remove the motor and weld two permanent adjusters in place. Anyway on a positive note the first few practice cuts on some pieces that will be used as saw horses went well and saw was cutting square so pretty much happy with that side of things. Base frame is completed and just needs painting. I'll lower the rails a bit yet to minimise potential of damage to the bolts holding it. The frame is keeping everything square and level over the full bed length and proved very easy to level up. Contrary to what website said it did come with a battery !!!! Ive now got a spare   !!! 

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0159.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0209.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

• Like 2

100x50x5 mm steel for your support frame, good choice, very stable, and a good start for a trailer build if you choose to go that way, most of the photos Ive seen of the mounts onto trailers consist of small brackets on the edges to stop the mill sliding about, and not actually holding it down, like you I initally used the leveling screws, tapped the top edge of the100x50, and locknutted the m16 screws, worked well and still allowed for adjustment, but I definetly prefer the woodland traler now

your new mill looks good by the way,  Ive read a couple of things on other mill forums about the 14hp motor and missalignment issues, various cures, slotting holes, different adjusters etc, kick an e-mail back to them, help improve the breed, and have a search for a scissor jack, make a bracket up that fits between the rails and bingo, instant toe board

Edited by agrimog
spell sort

42 minutes ago, agrimog said:

100x50x5 mm steel for your support frame, good choice, very stable, and a good start for a trailer build if you choose to go that way, most of the photos Ive seen of the mounts onto trailers consist of small brackets on the edges to stop the mill sliding about, and not actually holding it down, like you I initally used the leveling screws, tapped the top edge of the100x50, and locknutted the m16 screws, worked well and still allowed for adjustment, but I definetly prefer the woodland traler now

your new mill looks good by the way,  Ive read a couple of things on other mill forums about the 14hp motor and missalignment issues, various cures, slotting holes, different adjusters etc, kick an e-mail back to them, help improve the breed, and have a search for a scissor jack, make a bracket up that fits between the rails and bingo, instant toe board

Hi Agrimog 

Thanks for the comments. Steel is actually 120x60x5mm ? so hopefully more than man enough to do what it needs to. All the M18 bolt heads are welded in place and rails sit on nylocks and washers for now. I may well mail them as you say as that was a total pain to align motor. I intend to make something up to be able to  level stuff-up for sure but am not quite sure what route I’ll take. Yeah I agree the woodlands trailer is a smart bit of kit for sure but a bit too much spends right now. Got a couple of ideas ref the axles etc and getting logs on but it can wait. Bit nippy anyway at the minute for fab work outside

cheers 

have a close look at woodlands own design for loading logs, pretty simple to copy, the trick is in the shape thape sits inside the bunk and over the rail, locks the ramp in place, the winch post is simple,  axles are simple, 50x50 x5 box and indespension units, and a wee play about to get he exact position to suit your nose weight ( head sits just behind axle for transport)

I've had my 130 since late 2017 and to be fair had no problems setting it up apart from tracking the lenox blades.

Once I went onto ripper37 never had to worry about tracking.

The clutch started to show signs of failing about 6 days before the warranty ran out so I contacted

Chris and he sent replacement FOC along with a new throttle cable.

I suggest you tell him about lack of battery as the SHOULD be one.

I think the build quality has dropped since they have become popular.

2 hours ago, Forest2Furniture said:

I've had my 130 since late 2017 and to be fair had no problems setting it up apart from tracking the lenox blades.

Once I went onto ripper37 never had to worry about tracking.

The clutch started to show signs of failing about 6 days before the warranty ran out so I contacted

Chris and he sent replacement FOC along with a new throttle cable.

I suggest you tell him about lack of battery as the SHOULD be one.

I think the build quality has dropped since they have become popular.

Hi 

Battery was supplied although site stated it would not be hence I'd ordered one. Laughed when I turned key ready to use pull start and the starter motor engages ?? hey ho looks like the mower will get a fresh battery this spring. The building and setting up was fine apart from the methodology for tensioning the drive belt which is definitely open for improvement I'd say. I've a box of the ripper 37s ready to use once the original blade is done.