1984 MB Engineering integrity

difflock

3 actually!
1984 SWB 300D, bought 1st, and a lifetime keeper/family heirloom in the making.(history as above)
1989 LWB 300D, bought as a "keeper" for the wife to drive, and lovingly fettled by myself, wiper spindles replaced etc etc
1999 LWB 290TGD Van, bought relatively shortly after the 1989 LWB, simply because I got the once-in-a-lifetime chance of the good Sprinter direct injection 120bhp TD/Intercooled engine with the automatic gearbox and Recaro seats, this was then the wifes daily driver.
but
I do intend to sell the middleun, and this the 40th anniversary year being the prime opportunity!
cheers
Marcus
Might be interested in it.. herself has a soft spot for the g! Pictures? We're starting a bit of an old Merc and slightly newer Toyota collection!!
  • Like 1

Most bits are available from a motor factors, a lot of commonality with MB Vans of the same period, engines and brake components for instance, obviously the panels remained unchanged over the vehicles life, so they are available, the only unique to "G" Wagen bits are the fuel tank,( and the early steel ones did rust, but from about 1988/89 they are plastic), and the front axle, I dont know about the transfer box, but I dont recall ever hearing of problems with them.

The bullet proof 617 diesel is lacking in grunt compared to modern diesels, but at least with a tow or a battery and sommat oily in the tank they will always go, and go, and go  .  .  . for ever and a day.

There are also various options for re-powering with a more powerful MB diesel, the world really is your oyster in that respect, but outwith my knowledge or skills.

Running on coil springs all round I am of the opinion they ride nicer than a LR, but not unknown for them  to nip the springs, but again easy sourced.

Marcus

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, s o c said:

Quite a detour!

Indeed! Good time to be out there, less touristy types. 

I'm keeping an eye out for larch or wrc of a decent size.. hoping to clad our house with burnt larch.  Keep me in mind if you have any please!

Back to g wagons, there's a couple on donedeal at the moment!