Getting over the Start-Up Hill - Business Advice

Jamie Jones

I have been up and running in my Start-Up business for three years now.... I am hoping that this year is the year that it all comes together and I start to earn a living and manage to get over the hill or mountain you climb to be viable... So far I have just been investing everything I have been earning back into the businesses development and ensuring that I am able to tackle a wide scope of work.

I thought it would be interesting to here from other businesses what the key things, moments, phases or changes that you made that turned this corner .

When I moved to France the first year or so was really tough (there have been other tough years, but that’s a different story) I had walked away from a nice little business in the Horsham area, where I was established after 7 years on my own.

I came over with a TW150, tipping truck and decent grinder, so was ready to work.

So finding myself staring out the window, no work yesterday, no work today, no work tomorrow, no work in the diary at all, it was soul destroying.

Bits and bobs here and there wasn’t cutting it, I was ready to jack it in and come home.

Then I priced a hedge lowering job right round a garden, maybe 300 mètres in total.

Took me a week, countless loads of chip, but everything worked ok and, most importantly, it was priced right.

It certainly wasn’t the end of the difficulties, but it was a proper cheque for proper work, properly done.

Small corner turned.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

I’m in my 4th year now and for me it was investing in a road tow chipper 6 months ago, I had a small gravity fed one before.

Turning over more work in a day and earning nice money finally made it all seem worth it, just wish I had bought one earlier!

Although I’m not fully on my own work, more of a sole trader doing some regular freelance work.

I have been up and running in my Start-Up business for three years now.... I am hoping that this year is the year that it all comes together and I start to earn a living and manage to get over the hill or mountain you climb to be viable... So far I have just been investing everything I have been earning back into the businesses development and ensuring that I am able to tackle a wide scope of work.

I thought it would be interesting to here from other businesses what the key things, moments, phases or changes that you made that turned this corner .

I’m in a similar situation to you so I’ll be keeping a keen eye on this thread. In the summer I had 6-8 weeks booked in advance with a bit of freelance climbing thrown in. At the moment I have about a week booked up and am hitting my fingernails a bit. I’ve just sorted a new yard so setting up everything there will keep me and the guys busy on the quite days and I am getting everything up together for the busy period.

I panic a lot about not having much work but I know a lot of the more established business I have freelanced for and worked for in the past have all and still suffer with quite spells so I’m keeping my head up and hoping it starts to get busy again come February. I think next year I will plan ahead for January and book in work for now earlier in the year.

• Thanks 1

I've been on the go for  7years now as my own business.

Started out with no pot of money but had a climbing saw own kit and a ground saw. Nearly packed in a few times at the beginning but I always took pride in my work and seemed to get repeat work because of it. 

I've built up to better equipment as and when I could afford to but in a way I wish I stayed smaller.

From my limited experience having a lot of good gear, staff and plenty of gear doesn't mean you will be any better off. This is from both a financial and time at home prospective. 

I think you can ended up being asset rich and cash poor but it depends what suits you and your business.

Getting a balance is the key and if you find it let me know! 

Jim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chopper brown said:

I've been on the go for  7years now as my own business.

Started out with no pot of money but had a climbing saw own kit and a ground saw. Nearly packed in a few times at the beginning but I always took pride in my work and seemed to get repeat work because of it. 

I've built up to better equipment as and when I could afford to but in a way I wish I stayed smaller.

From my limited experience having a lot of good gear, staff and plenty of gear doesn't mean you will be any better off. This is from both a financial and time at home prospective. 

I think you can ended up being asset rich and cash poor but it depends what suits you and your business.

Getting a balance is the key and if you find it let me know! 

Jim

Spot on there Jim! 

• Like 1