Flail vs Rotary Topper - Recommendations

Commando

Rotary will be faster and less taxing on the tractor but doesn't leave as good a finish as a flail so depends on the finish you want to leave and how long you want to spend really. Not had a lot ofdealings with rotary toppers but I can say that and 8' flail is plenty enough for a 115hp tractor so you'll need a bit smaller

Flail does the better job and will get through smaller gorse etc if required but as said needs a bit more power. 8ft on our 120hp tractor is a reasonable match although that is front mounted so I can't remember if you lose some power anyway. 

Anything's possible if you go slow enough though. 

I'd have a look at Wiltshire built Kidd toppers, much more heavily built than the Fleming.

Surprisingly cheap considering the heavy gauge construction.

I wouldn't personally use a offset topper, as it puts uneven strain on one side of the tractor linkage.

I've had the 180 which is 6', great topper built like a tank.

But upgraded to the largest 280 which is 9' and it is an absolute dream, only running with 90hp.

Just make sure its got the additional PTO shaft with shear pin protection and overrunning clutch, as it takes around five minutes to stop spinning.

• Like 1

I have a 1.1m rotary topper on the back of a small (18hp ish) compact tractor. It does a pretty neat job (a really neat job when I ran it at too high a PTO speed by mistake!) and is easy on the tractor. I have a steep paddock to cut, and though I'm tempted by offset, I think a rear mount is more stable and easier for limited access. Didn't try a flail as they were a fair bit more expensive and I don't need a really clean cut (though I do use the topper on parts of the lawn from time to time!). 

I'd have a look at Wiltshire built Kidd toppers, much more heavily built than the Fleming.
Surprisingly cheap considering the heavy gauge construction.

I wouldn't personally use a offset topper, as it puts uneven strain on one side of the tractor linkage.

I've had the 180 which is 6', great topper built like a tank.
But upgraded to the largest 280 which is 9' and it is an absolute dream, only running with 90hp.
Just make sure its got the additional PTO shaft with shear pin protection and overrunning clutch, as it takes around five minutes to stop spinning.

Thx Gareth, I have my eye on a used Kidd 8ft topper 2016. Chap wants £1400 no vat.
Wondering how the no top link system holds up? Cheers Craig

£1400 without the vat isn't bad, list price is 2000-3000 with the vat for a new one.

In terms of the not having the top linkage, once the mower is on the floor you adjust the linkage height so it floats and tilts on the lower linkage.

With the smaller 6ft, the top linkage was a strap for lifting up and transport.

Once it was on the ground you set the top link so it was slack, allowing the mower to tilt on the linkage allowing the mower to follow the land.

Obviously you keep looking and adjusting as necessary.