Chain Saw for planking mill

Clumsy Oaf

Just spent an afternoon milling with the Makita.

Words like hot, knife and butter spring to mind when compared with the heavy weather the Stihl made of my alders. 

All of the outstanding alders have been milled, mostly into boards for revetment work on ponds and ditches but a couple of thicker pieces to provide blanks for Mrs Oaf's new bowl-turning hobby!

As the Makita came with a Grandberg frame, I'll be able to start on the big redwoods soon whereas I had been expecting to have to send them away for band sawing.

Thanks to you, Bill, for suggesting the Makita and to you, Pat, for supplying one. Thanks also to everyone else who gave me some very helpful advice.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Pictures please Oafy
emoji106.png

Rough Hewn - As requested.

Hardly on an industrial scale, but a decent afternoon's work for me.

A few planks for pond bank support and a stack of planks and turning blanks, plus our Christmas visitor who's in his summer quarters!

Wonky - Not sure of all the chain details - definitely 10 degree teeth and 3/8" but don't know if it's lopro or standard. The packaging says Type 73 if that helps.

C

IMG_1704 (2).JPG

IMG_1716a.jpg

IMG_1708 (2).JPG

• Like 1

Rough Hewn - As requested.

Hardly on an industrial scale, but a decent afternoon's work for me.

A few planks for pond bank support and a stack of planks and turning blanks, plus our Christmas visitor who's in his summer quarters!

Wonky - Not sure of all the chain details - definitely 10 degree teeth and 3/8" but don't know if it's lopro or standard. The packaging says Type 73 if that helps.

C
1171962469_IMG_1704(2).thumb.JPG.664aa5ba9f8271774cf73cc84e3535a6.JPG
IMG_1716a.jpg.147769cfdc690767c154544da2ffb37d.jpg
489953301_IMG_1708(2).thumb.JPG.79b045db6e46ee33e40b1ac4c5bd44dd.JPG

Good stuff!
Looking forward to seeing more milling
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
  • Like 1