Chain Saw for planking mill

Clumsy Oaf

Hi Bill, haven’t you got a saw you can sell him you normally have one or two for sale , still haven’t used the one you sold me I have been waiting on a decision on funding for a new 880   so reluctant to buy a bar and chain for it until I know, Hi Mr Oaf defo go for the biggest saw you can get and being a Sthil man I would go for a Sthil parts for older saws are still quite easy to get and Sthil UK are very helpful the old bloke in the parts store is a font of spares knowledge,if I get the funding for an 880 I will sell you the 076av that I have for what I paid for it if works out timing wise ,good luck milling is addictive so much so I am now looking at a woodland bandmill getting too old to be down on my knees with a big saw all day.
cheers Mark
Hi mark, think it'll be the same bar fitting for 076 and 88 whatever you decide! Hope you get sorted anyways!

Aye probs up for selling the 084 but not sure on price? Prolly 600quid or so! It's got a new OEM p and p on it.

I haven't done as much milling as these guys but 70cc and lo-pro bar has done ok on up to 24" softwood for me so easily do the 14" stems you are talking about. I have bought a Husqvarna 365 and have to say it is a lot of saw for the money, although just over your £500 by the time you've bought the bar.

I believe it's old style reliable Husky and fairly low stressed as it's basically a detuned 372xp.

Hi gus in my humble opinion I think get the biggest bloody saw you can so that way when that really big butt comes your way you will have the saw to cope with it as you can always put a 2ft bar on a bigger saw but not the bigger bar on the smaller saw and obviously big saws are just ace fun 

Cheers Mark

• Like 2

Clumsy Oaf

If you are interested in a used but excellent Makita DCS 7901 with a 16" bar and an unused Dolmar 28" bar and new ripping chain I have one which has seen very little use as I am a hobbyist only. I bought it from Charlies Stores together with a Granberg Mini Mill and a 36"Alaskan both of which are unused.

If you are interested I am 6 miles west of Welshpool and happy to discuss if you pm me your contact details.

Pat

Edited by Patlmc

For 30" milling get 90-120cc
A small saw will die sooner with milling as you have already discovered.
There is quite a difference between a 661/660 and an 088/880.
The bigger machine has considerably stronger parts which make it more suitable for milling.
If you're toying with the idea of cutting 30"+ oak the only way is 120cc.
But if you only have one saw, a 661 will cross cut and mill.
Whereas you don't really want to try cross cutting small wood with an 880.
I never used makita/Sachs but a lot of guys on here rate them.
Got any photos of what you've milled already?
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sorted!

I didn't think I'd be sorted so soon - I usually take weeks to make my mind up!

Patlmc's Makita DCS 7901 has crossed the Welsh border and is now in my possession. 

Thanks Pat, it was a real pleasure meeting you and I look forward to many happy hours of milling and logging.

Rough Hewn, seeing as you asked, here are a few photos. 

The signs (with house names blocked out) stand at the end of our lane. They were milled out of cypresses.

The alders are more typical of what I have to work with. This is the one that finally killed the Stihl. I've used alder planks for revetment work on pond banks and ditches. I'll probably be using some for cladding a project that's on the list.Signs.jpg.337b6fc49b049922d13a1c0cc46ea7bd.jpg

The redwoods were waiting to go to someone nearby with a bandsaw mill but I think I should be able to do these myself now, in which case, the saw will probably have earned it's keep in just one job.

Alders.jpg

Redwoods.jpg

Edited by Clumsy Oaf
typo
  • Like 2