Chain Saw for planking mill

Clumsy Oaf

Hi

I'm a newcomer to this forum and I hope you'll be gentle with an idiot!

My Stihl MS250 has given me excellent service for a good number of years and has milled a number of cypresses and alder trunks. For milling I use a 16" bar and ripping chain on a Grandberg frame.

Unfortunately I killed it last week when I managed to knock the chain brake on by accident and didn't notice as the saw was already labouring on the thick end of an alder trunk. It got a bit smoky but, as there were only a few inches to go, I ploughed on thinking 'I'll take a look when I've finished'. When I opened it up, things had gone a bit melty!

I've managed to replace enough parts and got it running well enough to know that a full restoration should be viable so that I can continue to use it for normal logging and firewood cutting.

I'm now on the look-out for something with a longer bar - 30" maximum but probably 20" - 24" for planking purposes. My friendly local dealer is keen to sell me another Stihl and I'd love to get one but, for the amount of work I do, I just can't justify spending that much.

The same dealer also supplies EFCOs and, (if pushed) Mitox. I'm wondering whether one of the larger EFCOs would do the job AND have a reasonable life - if treated properly!

Can anyone comment on the suitability of any of these makes for milling?

Any advice gratefully received.
Clumsy Oaf

Edited by Clumsy Oaf
typo

2 hours ago, billpierce said:

What's yer max budget?

Bill, I had been thinking up to about £500 but perhaps I need to have a rethink and dig deeper if I'm going to buy new. 

Rough Hewn's comments are helpful and his suggestion of second hand is attractive but reliability and parts availability for older models would be important, which steers me back towards Stihl. I've spent some time surfing sales sites this evening but haven't come across anything that looked like it fitted the bill. I wouldn't want to go over the £500 without some sort of warranty.

Just looked at frjones,
661 is about a grand with 36"bar but will only cut 30".
880 is £1323 with 48" bar, will cut 42".
The other advantage with the 880 is you can put ridiculous bars 70"+ and mill.
I ran old dinosaws until I got deeply addicted to milling.
What size wood do you plan on milling?

Personally I'd look at a second hand 660 to 066 but you'll not find a 88 for 500 quid unless your very lucky.

or if your set on new an 80cc makita/dolmar

https://www.radmoretucker.co.uk/shop/garden-machinery/chainsaws-tree-care/petrol-chainsaws/makita-ea7900p45e-petrol-chainsaw-18/

You'll get parts for them no bother. They are strong saws. 

Thanks for all the advice.

Woodwizzard, I'm in Shropshire, near Shrewsbury. I generally use Wyvern Garden Machinery who have been very helpful over the years.

Rough Hewn: Thanks for those prices. They're in line with what Wyvern have quoted. I'm usually working on alders which are up to 12" diameter, it was a 14" one that did for the Stihl! I have some softwood, mainly over-grown cypresses that I've milled. I also have some larger oak and ash but I haven't tried milling any of those yet. One of the oaks has been down for around 10 years, will that be too hard for milling?

Bill: Thanks for suggesting the Makita, I'll see what's on offer around here. For kit like this I prefer to see in person rather than relying on just online.

C O

Hi Bill, haven’t you got a saw you can sell him you normally have one or two for sale , still haven’t used the one you sold me I have been waiting on a decision on funding for a new 880   so reluctant to buy a bar and chain for it until I know, Hi Mr Oaf defo go for the biggest saw you can get and being a Sthil man I would go for a Sthil parts for older saws are still quite easy to get and Sthil UK are very helpful the old bloke in the parts store is a font of spares knowledge,if I get the funding for an 880 I will sell you the 076av that I have for what I paid for it if works out timing wise ,good luck milling is addictive so much so I am now looking at a woodland bandmill getting too old to be down on my knees with a big saw all day.

cheers Mark