Was governments clean air strategy launch fair on wood burning stoves?

Dont talk to me about the SNP - I live in Scotland.

They had to give into the Green Party to get their budget through the Scottish Parliament. Part of that is giving councils the power to charge employers for each parking space they have on their own private property. Of course its all in the name of the environment - not!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is now a letter from Defra circulating in the trade advising that the govts position is in red here:

Defra clarifies their position on domestic wood burning

In January 2019, the government launched their Clean Air Strategy for the United Kingdom. While the strategy has been broadly welcomed by the industry, it has also been a thorn in our sides due to scare mongering headlines in the national and local press such as, "Are wood-burning stoves going to get the chop?", "Is my wood burning stove really killing me?" and "Air pollution plans to tackle wood burners".

Understandably, this has led consumers to question whether they should invest hundreds or thousands of pounds in a luxury for their homes, in case they are banned in the future.

Specflue is pleased to share with you a letter received by one of our suppliers, Garry Puttock of Putlock Chimney Systems Ltd, from Dr Therese Coffey MP, the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for the Environment. The final paragraph says:

"I hope this letter reassures your constituent that we are not considering banning domestic burning. The Government recognises that households have installed wood-burning stoves and the Government is not seeking to prevent their use or installation, however, we are keen to encourage consumers to switch to cleaner burning."

To see the letter in full please click here

Specflue, with the permission of Garry Puttock, invites you to share this letter with your customers, and hopes that it reassures them that installing a modern wood burning stove, burning the correct fuel, and regular servicing can be part of the solution to air pollution from PM.

Edited by Alycidon

I've seen a lot of reference to that 38% figure "38% of UK primary PM emissions come from burning wood and coal in domestic open fires and solid fuel stoves"  but I don't think I've ever seen that broken down between wood and coal or stove vs open fires.