DPR93

After some advice for buying a digital clinometer for height measurements. What are people using/what do people find quick, easy and reliable?

I have looked at the Haglof ECII D, but am I correct in thinking you have to know your distance from the tree stem to calculate height? description says 'heights can be measured from any known distance'. Would really like to know how easy this is to use. 

Looked at the Nikon Forestry Pro - this looked great in terms of ease of use, but a bit flawed, as the minimum distance is 10m and often find myself much closer to the tree stem. 

Ideally, a bit of kit I could measure horizontal distance (for canopy spreads) and heights on would be perfect. Sub £500 is probably what I'm looking to spend. 

Appreciate any input, particularly from  @Sorbus International Ltd etc

Thanks

• Like 1

Good Afternoon,

The ECII-D is a very popular, cost effective and simple to use device for measuring heights. The distance to the object can also be calculated using trigonometry. This is done by placing a mark on the object 2metres from ground level. You then step back from the object until you can see the 2 metre mark  and the top height. Press the ‘ON’ button twice quickly so that ‘HGT’ appears in the display. Then  point the ECII-D at the 2 metre mark and press the ‘ON’ button until you hear a short signal after which you aim at the base of the object & press ‘ON’ again – after the signal the distance to the object will be briefly displayed to confirm that the distance has been calculated. Finally point at the top of the object and press ‘ON’ again until you hear the signal – the total height from the base to the top will then be displayed.

If you wish to measure horizontal distances such as crown spreads a laser device is required with an in-built digital compass. We are unaware of any such devices for less than £500 – indeed they would be in the region of £1500-£1700 (ex vat) with this type of functionality (ie the Haglof Laser Geo which is the most highly specified hand held laser device currently available). There are many measurement devices on the market but not all of them are suitable for outdoor use – particularly in bright sunlight – so you have to be careful that what you choose will do what you want. All of the measurement devices offered by Sorbus are well proven for use outdoors. If in doubt ask for a demonstration or speak to an independent user to confirm functionality.

Attached is some general info on the rest of the Haglof range. Should you wish to discuss the functionality of any of our range in more depth please don't hesitate to call or drop us an email [email protected].

Kind regards

Sorbus International Ltd

A4 - HAGLOF - Double sided.pdf

I’ve been measuring tree heights for donkeys and have found that the laser equipment is the most innacurate no matter how much it costs, more often than not it picks up the outer canopy and not the top of the tree. Try one 3 times on the same tree from 3 different directions and the chances are you’ll get 3 different readings!!

Great for telegraph poles and buildings though.

A manual clinometer is the most reliable but I can usually get +/- 1M or so by eye, if you can visualise 2 meters accurately you’ll soon get the hang of it. 

I’ve been measuring tree heights for donkeys and have found that the laser equipment is the most innacurate no matter how much it costs, more often than not it picks up the outer canopy and not the top of the tree. Try one 3 times on the same tree from 3 different directions and the chances are you’ll get 3 different readings!!

Great for telegraph poles and buildings though.

A manual clinometer is the most reliable but I can usually get +/- 1M or so by eye, if you can visualise 2 meters accurately you’ll soon get the hang of it. 
I've got a donkey , he tells me 'he's never heard of your service ' and in all his born days has no intention of ever climbing trees.! [emoji12]

• 2 weeks later...

I like the bruntons and suunto's. Affordable, accurate, and light. I dunno how accurate the new breed of digital are, but the ones I used back in 2012 weren't very impressive, and rather large and heavy. When I worked for a contractor for Weyerhauser in Washington State, we used Spiegel Relaskopes.

They are not cheap, nor light...but we had to measure boles as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relascope