Reparing broken asbestos roofing with fibreglass encapsulation

Steve Bullman

I have never heard of this, but came across this paragraph on one of my customers websites 

Cracked asbestos roof allowing water into your garage?

Why pay expensive removal costs when you can encapsulate it in fibreglass and make it structurally stronger. Encapsulation is much better than the impact on the environment associated with asbestos disposal. Remember, Asbestos is only dangerous when disturbed so encapsulation is the most cost-effective method.

I am slightly surprised that in 22 years of avoiding damaging asbestos roofs I never came across this.

Link to the page - Repairing damaged asbestos roofs

59 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

I have never heard of this, but came across this paragraph on one of my customers websites 

Cracked asbestos roof allowing water into your garage?

Why pay expensive removal costs when you can encapsulate it in fibreglass and make it structurally stronger. Encapsulation is much better than the impact on the environment associated with asbestos disposal. Remember, Asbestos is only dangerous when disturbed so encapsulation is the most cost-effective method.

I am slightly surprised that in 22 years of avoiding damaging asbestos roofs I never came across this.

Link to the page - Repairing damaged asbestos roofs

I've had asbestos reinforce cement roofing repaired by applying torch on roofing felt and it has been good for 20 years.

Prior to the 1980s the asbestos reinforced corrugated sheets had about 10% chrisotile asbestos, it's still classed as hazardous but unlike other forms, like loose insulation in boilers and dry lining boards,  you are allowed to dismantle its yourself, taking suitable precautions and disposing it at a licensed facility. Last time I sent some in it cost about double  normal landfill prices plus £30 for a conveyance note. Minimum charge was 3 tonnes.

It costs about£10/m2 in material to replace with steel profile but worth paying for the composite with 30mm insulation to prevent condensation (need 100mm insulation for a workshop).