Jump to content
Jack.P

Starting out in forestry

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

Sounds like the life for me just out of interest what is the going day rate for a hand cutter around Yorkshire / Cumbria area? 

Hi you should be able to get £140 - £160 a day depending on expierance and what tickets you have 2 recent jobs 1 was £12 a tonne working on a average of 2.75 tonne per tree so the more you do the more you make and the other was a windblown clearance with some trees over a boundry 2 of us went and worked out at £300 each for a 7 hr working day + 1hr traveling each way so not a bad rate where are you based at ? and the views are free of charge,

20181227_114714 (1).jpg

IMAG0156.JPG

20160919_101105 (1).jpg

20160920_135603 (1).jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jack would you cope felling 8 -12 of these every day felled snedded and processed ? just had 2 wk of these big lumps and just got finished about 2pm today was having tomorrow at home and then was to find my self a few days shooting to occupie my self for the rest of the wk but thats all gone tits up. now spending tues,wed,thur and fri delivering logs and timber, that tree was 55" across where i cut it and was rotten in middle.
20190117_150544.thumb.jpg.0cf589c22a11455f073cde443202564f.jpg
20190117_150632.thumb.jpg.0b7cfb261f80b880f3afe6d405b3d70a.jpg
The curse of all foresters, butt rot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Hi you should be able to get £140 - £160 a day depending on expierance and what tickets you have 2 recent jobs 1 was £12 a tonne working on a average of 2.75 tonne per tree so the more you do the more you make and the other was a windblown clearance with some trees over a boundry 2 of us went and worked out at £300 each for a 7 hr working day + 1hr traveling each way so not a bad rate where are you based at ? and the views are free of charge,

20181227_114714 (1).jpg

IMAG0156.JPG

20160919_101105 (1).jpg

20160920_135603 (1).jpg

That is a good going rate then and I'm in Maryport Cumbria so the minimum tickets would be cs30/31/32/34/35 then? The views are free would be a good job for head clearing as well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, slack ma girdle said:
17 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:
Jack would you cope felling 8 -12 of these every day felled snedded and processed ? just had 2 wk of these big lumps and just got finished about 2pm today was having tomorrow at home and then was to find my self a few days shooting to occupie my self for the rest of the wk but thats all gone tits up. now spending tues,wed,thur and fri delivering logs and timber, that tree was 55" across where i cut it and was rotten in middle.
20190117_150544.thumb.jpg.0cf589c22a11455f073cde443202564f.jpg
20190117_150632.thumb.jpg.0b7cfb261f80b880f3afe6d405b3d70a.jpg

Read more  

The curse of all foresters, butt rot

that was the only tree out of about 90 in last 2 week with rot in the base and that was only there due to it being a triple stemer,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

They are being gentle on you Jack.
Forestry is as harsh as it gets in arb work.
Cutting to spec is an art form. Takes a lot of practice.
Takes 3-6 months of taking shit and making mistakes before you really are able to earn at hand cutting.
Takes a few months for your body to adapt too.
Good luck
emoji106.png

Harsh??its fckn brutal,still have nightmares about Sitka select thinning. lol.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

if it was that scotch bloke which i think it would be he had a tripple heart by pass on a monday came back to work on wed dropped dead sat afternoon so its safe for you to return,,

ya drink scotch man,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, slack ma girdle said:
18 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:
Jack would you cope felling 8 -12 of these every day felled snedded and processed ? just had 2 wk of these big lumps and just got finished about 2pm today was having tomorrow at home and then was to find my self a few days shooting to occupie my self for the rest of the wk but thats all gone tits up. now spending tues,wed,thur and fri delivering logs and timber, that tree was 55" across where i cut it and was rotten in middle.
20190117_150544.thumb.jpg.0cf589c22a11455f073cde443202564f.jpg
20190117_150632.thumb.jpg.0b7cfb261f80b880f3afe6d405b3d70a.jpg

Read more  

The curse of all foresters, butt rot

There's some very effective creams available these days, over the counter.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Khriss said:

Looks a lovely spot @spuddog0507 tempting me ;) is it private or FC ? K

yes its a privately owned block where i have been the last 2 wk totaling 860 acers which was planted up in the 50s on a contract for Bryant & May, and for the younger lads on here Bryant & May was/is a firm in Liverpool making matches (Englands Glory) but who buys matches now, not many we all have a 5 for a quid gas lighter now a days, the lad on the harvester said its been some of the best timber he has been in for several years,

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.