Starting out in forestry

Jack.P

15 minutes ago, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

Now that's my ideal place to be might be hard graft but the view themselves are rewarding enough Where's that at? 

longridge fell in lancashire if its views you want my job has many fantastick views from lancashire west yorks north yorks and the lake district and most are from the top of big hills so you can see for miles the site at longridge you can see many places on a good day like all the ribble valley then preston ,southport, liverpool ,the wirrell, north wales, great orme anglsey snowdonia, and on a really good day IOM and southwest scotland, do you get the picture, but this morning i was trudging round longridge fell looking for 120ft tall spruce trees and couldnt see F - - - All till i was about 15 - 20 mtrs off em,

• Like 2

Used to love it up there walking on tracks through trees etc, it’s just baron now! Sad really, but money in industry talks and all that.
Used to go up grindleton a lot too, around pine wood. Used to snoop around all bird pens etc that were up there from when they were breeding and rearing ready for shoots up there. Its baron up there now too.

2 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Used to love it up there walking on tracks through trees etc, it’s just baron now! Sad really, but money in industry talks and all that.
Used to go up grindleton a lot too, around pine wood. Used to snoop around all bird pens etc that were up there from when they were breeding and rearing ready for shoots up there. Its baron up there now too.

looks shit at the moment both grindlton and longridge but what they have just cleared will be re planted by end of march and there is trees on both them sites that are now 15 - 20 ft tall and when i first went they had only just been planted,

• Like 1

Not been to either spot for a long time now. I tend to bugger off on full days and go up grassington a lot, do a walk that meanders back to a pub at some point [emoji6][emoji51] old girls getting on now tho, shes nearly 10 and cant cover the same distances anymore.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Cant really remember the bloke..... was chuffing ignorant tho i remember that much! Photo was december 13, hadn’t long since bought the house back then.

if it was that scotch bloke which i think it would be he had a tripple heart by pass on a monday came back to work on wed dropped dead sat afternoon so its safe for you to return,,

• Like 1

I’m off up grassington early doors this friday, i’ll let her rest up saturday and i’ll go for a wander up kemple on sunday [emoji6] you’ve just inspired me spudder [emoji106]

Anyway...... a message for the OP, crack on with your trial interview, you’ll not get anywhere in life if you dont put the effort in and try, its all too easy to form a trail of regrets! Like Spruce Pirate said.... whats a week in your life?!!!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

longridge fell in lancashire if its views you want my job has many fantastick views from lancashire west yorks north yorks and the lake district and most are from the top of big hills so you can see for miles the site at longridge you can see many places on a good day like all the ribble valley then preston ,southport, liverpool ,the wirrell, north wales, great orme anglsey snowdonia, and on a really good day IOM and southwest scotland, do you get the picture, but this morning i was trudging round longridge fell looking for 120ft tall spruce trees and couldnt see F - - - All till i was about 15 - 20 mtrs off em,

Sounds like the life for me just out of interest what is the going day rate for a hand cutter around Yorkshire / Cumbria area? 

Got to the woods this morning in good time at the meeting spot ready for a day of hand cutting.Anyway no sign of them I waited over an hour for them didn't return call so decided I'm better off heading back as I'm not waiting all day for them .funny that the bloke in charge said at the start I've got 4 chances if I'm a messer but it's them that's a messer lol what a joke wasting my time

• Sad 1