Starting out in forestry

Jack.P

Actually I feel like I should expand on my previous post

I once approached a guy who owned a tree company through a friend of a friend about some work. I’d not long left the company I had been working for and was looking for the next step in my climbing career 

he told me to come in the next Sunday morning at 8am, I duly arrived and was told I was plotting on shrubs in the Polly tunnel. 10l into 15l pots. I did that for 6 or 7 hours until we went grass cutting at the local college. We were there for a good few hours and I didn’t get home till nearly 8. Obviously proved my worth and started on for him the next day. Ended up in the end doing most of his quoting and bought his chipper off him as I went out on my own and he was winding down. Still got some of his customers 12/13 years later on

take from that what you will 

• Like 6

They are being gentle on you Jack.
Forestry is as harsh as it gets in arb work.
Cutting to spec is an art form. Takes a lot of practice.
Takes 3-6 months of taking shit and making mistakes before you really are able to earn at hand cutting.
Takes a few months for your body to adapt too.
Good luck
[emoji106]

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Jack.P said:

Today went ok on the job -bit cold to start with but warmed up around midday 

It wasn't very hard work but I'm not sure if it's for me so haven't decided if I'm going back in tomorrow but I'm allowed to go straight into processing tomorrow .

It was surprising how much good useable wood with enough length goes into chip pile I guess it all comes down to buyers spec but a waste of money anyway.

Main talk with the boys all day is footy so pretty boring work bunch really 

You got to stick at a bit longer . The chip is not a waste of money , it all has value . If you quit now you may regret it in a while particularly as he is gonna give you some time on the saw . Your back will ache ,your for arms and shoulders will  too and if you do stick at it your whole body will be fucked it 10 or 12 yours time ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jack.P said:

It wasn't very hard work but I'm not sure if it's for me so haven't decided if I'm going back in tomorrow but I'm allowed to go straight into processing tomorrow .

It was surprising how much good useable wood with enough length goes into chip pile I guess it all comes down to buyers spec but a waste of money anyway.

Go back and give it a go for a day or 2 and see how you get on, open doors in to forestry work dont come a long that often and as for the football chat, well i am with you on that one can you not get them talking about the womens world netball championships, a lot more interesting than football,,

1 hour ago, Jack.P said:

Your loss Jack, you will never learn to play the banjo.:)

Bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1