Starting out in forestry

Jack.P

Hi guys .I've been thinking about a change of scene at work and considering getting into forestry .

Anyway I've been offerd a weeks trial next week with just expenses paid i.e. Petrol etc but that's fair enough I guess as I'm a newbie with limited forestry experience -But i have done groundy work and my own tree jobs so not a total beginner and I have my own saws ppe etc and cs30/31 but planning on doing cs32 / first aid within the next 6 months.

Anyway I was a bit put off when he said for the first three days I'd just be manually stacking timber .not much to learn from that apart from don't do it again when your back is feeling it and potentially isn't going to give me much of an idea of what is involved in the work so possibly waste of time if I'm just offered donkey work for no financial gain.

The work if I decided to go for it is chestnut fencing for the next few months on piece rate .but they will have other work on different sites afterwards.How long will it take to get the hang of this and could it be a viable option ? Week 2 If I stayed on I would expect pay at least equating to minimum wage .

maybe I'm better off just waiting for current work load to pick back up.

Forestry work is normally pretty brutal, he probably figures if you can make a go of three days stacking and still able to hack it and willing to stick around then you're worth something. 

If after three days you've had enough and want to jack it in then you'll both have learned something.

• Like 3

Yeah I was hoping I would go straight into felling as it's only cutting to spec which I'm unsure about as it goes into 4 different products I'm not familiar with .I will mention though i want set hourly rate for stacking someone else's wood if I'm learning nothing.if it looks like a joke on day 1 then I won't be hanging around more than a few hours

• Like 1

Stacking in chestnut is important!! as could you tell the difference looking from a machine from 6' stakes 5'6" stakes 6''6" posts 7'6" struts 8' strainer 9'posts and 9'6" rails?? some things need to be stacked 90 degrees to others to avoid confusion, also your not learning nothing your learning to set you wood out right and in turn means if its spot on then the forwarder driver would rather pick yours up than someone who is rather untidy and you will get paid!!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Jack.P said:

Yeah I was hoping I would go straight into felling as it's only cutting to spec which I'm unsure about as it goes into 4 different products I'm not familiar with .I will mention though i want set hourly rate for stacking someone else's wood if I'm learning nothing.if it looks like a joke on day 1 then I won't be hanging around more than a few hours

If you thought you were going straight into production cutting with not being familiar with the cutting spec,go stacking for say £30 a day and learn the spec.There is a great skill in cutting chestnut coppice and getting the most out of the stem,I spent a year in West Sussex and the cutters were very good (I was not the best but loved it). 

• Like 1

On 17/01/2019 at 18:28, Shaff said:

I would push him for wages on the first 3 days stacking then do a couple of days for free when you’re actually learning something worthwhile.

Sounds like he’s just after free muscle

I spoken to the geezer in charge again this afternoon.explained I dont want to spend that long just stacking there wood for free but more intrested in actual hands on learning aswell as stacking if I'm too offer my weeks labour for nothing.he doesn't sound that intrested by the sounds of things and reluctant to let me start cutting the wood explaining I won't cut to spec therefore will actually loose them money which is a bit unfair to say considering hasn't seen me working or given me a chance yet.it sounded like I would be stacking for most the week I wonder if I'm just wasting my time with these people 

• Like 2