Beech Hedge question.

trigger_andy

Odd question and Im unsure what sub-forum to drop it in so here it it. :D 

I have a Beech Hedge out the back and its blocking my view of the Hills behind my house. But I have a neighbor that Id like to block off and as Im gonna rip out the Hedge I wondered if its feasible to dig the Beeches out and re-plant them? 

Is this something thats done?

Cheers. :D 

I have a very nice beech hedge that was salvaged after it was ripped out by machine where it was bordering a car park that was being extended, they were about 3 feet tall.

It was done in the winter, I separated them and pruned the roots and stuck each one in a builders bag with some soil, they came into bud in the spring and although they looked a bit scabby I left them in the bags for a year then planted them out the following spring.... I did lose some but I recon beech will come back from really harsh treatment so it might be worth a try.    cheers

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Awesome! Thats just what I needed to hear. A real world example of exactly what I'll be doing. In Scotland too, so that a boost. :D 

This was about 20 years ago....I'm no expert, maybe I just got lucky.....I could see that the roots regrew in the bags but when planted they hardly put on any growth for the first couple of years and then came away strongly, good luck.

• Like 1