Hedge laying newcomer

Guest Gimlet

Hello all. I'm a Dorset based commercial hedge layer. Stumbled on this site while looking at chainsaw reviews. Looks to be packed with useful stuff and people in the know, so here I am.

I'll probably be most active in the hedge laying section but as I'm looking to diversify my summer work, hopefully  there'll be inspiration in the other sections as well. (Except climbing. That horse bolted a good few years ago..).

On 15/01/2019 at 22:00, Gimlet said:

Hello all. I'm a Dorset based commercial hedge layer. Stumbled on this site while looking at chainsaw reviews. Looks to be packed with useful stuff and people in the know, so here I am.

I'll probably be most active in the hedge laying section but as I'm looking to diversify my summer work, hopefully  there'll be inspiration in the other sections as well. (Except climbing. That horse bolted a good few years ago..).

Is hedge laying the same over the whole UK or does Dorset have a special method with a difference?

3 hours ago, Billhook said:

Is hedge laying the same over the whole UK or does Dorset have a special method with a difference?

Virtually every county in the country has its own local style but tree biology doesn't change so they all have basic principles in common. Dorset is a low-lying hedge laid on top of a bank with a ditch beneath it. Very similar to Devon except Dorset uses hazel switches (bonds) to hold the hedge down while Devon uses crooks and Dorset is a half barrel shape whereas Devon is more square. Both are often laid in double "combs" ie. two lines of hedge, one on each side of the bank though that is more common in Devon.  

Dorset style needs its bank to be an effective barrier because it lies so low. Unfortunately some hedgers (and clients) get hung up on regionality and use Dorset in situations where it isn't suitable because they think tradition demands it. In fact, south of England which produces a much taller and more upright hedge is far better suited to level ground, is equally applicable in the county and makes an extremely handsome hedge, especially in gardens. 

Edited by Gimlet

2 hours ago, AHPP said:

What’s your gimlet recipe and what’s the worst excuse for one you’ve ever been served?

Can't stand lime cordial (or gin) I'm afraid. I'm more the piercing instrument than 70's cocktail. 

A decent malt whisky on the other hand...

Edited by Gimlet

4 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

Virtually every county in the country has its own local style but tree biology doesn't change so they all have basic principles in common. Dorset is a low-lying hedge laid on top of a bank with a ditch beneath it. Very similar to Devon except Dorset uses hazel switches (bonds) to hold the hedge down while Devon uses crooks and Dorset is a half barrel shape whereas Devon is more square. Both are often paid in double "combs" ie. two lines of hedge, one on each side of the bank though that is more common in Devon.  

Dorset style needs its bank to be an effective barrier because it lies so low. Unfortunately some hedgers (and clients) get hung up on regionality and use Dorset in situations where it isn't suitable because they think tradition demands it. In fact, south of England which is a much more upright hedge and far better suited to flat ground, is equally applicable in the county and makes an extremely handsome hedge. 

A local farmer here in Lincolnshire is organising a group session with  a local "expert"  so I shall probably shortly be coming back to you with some questions.

Yes we do have hedges here in spite of the rumours!