The beauty of the Tax System

Rob D

I often find myself when paying the book keeper and accountant and trying to squeeze in all the mundane paperwork [completely pointless and unnecessary] side of things - just what is it all for? For tax of course! Why do you do it? Because you would go to prison if you didn't!

I mean when you think on it it's a beautiful system - ref VAT not only do we have to pay back the gov the surplus tax - we have to collect this for them and also calculate it for them ie. it costs us time and money to do what is in effect their job. And then send them the money!

What if a customer called you to tell them they were taking a tree down - we told them 'make sure you have the right gear and safety equipment or we'll pay a visit'. The customer takes the tree down, gets rid of the waste and then sends you a cheque in the post.

If the customer moans that this is unfair we reply 'please don't complain, this is a legal requirement and anyway we need your money for the benefit of the country and it will be well spent'.

It is getting to the point where you do feel like strapping on a yellow vest and standing outside Westminster! Lots of folk say 'you got to do it why moan about it, you can't change anything' - my reply would be at least by moaning about it you are doing something about it. It's about all you are allowed to do.

• Like 1

How about the injustice of IHT! 

You worked hard and pay all your taxes your whole life and end up with a nice nest egg which you would like to pass onto your kids but no the government wants a chunk of that as well and for what, dying?  If you blow the whole lot that's fine but carefully saving is penalised.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I firmly believe that taxation is the worst human rights abuse the world has seen. It usually manifests itself as slavery (you’re working to pay it for about 80% of your working time) and then the proceeds are used to carry out a lot of other evil. It keeps people down their entire lives, never able to amass enough capital to live as well as they strive to. That’s horrible.

My initial claim might seem bold when you consider more popular injustices but stuff like the holocaust is frankly childsplay in comparison. Eleven million dead in five years is nothing compared to everyone who’s lived in the last five thousand years (a hundred billion maybe?) spending their entire lives miserable and under the gun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:

Wrong side of the bed Rob??

Nope! Just not going to take it entirely in the all fours position from now on. At least they could flip me on my back for a change of position would be something at least ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, AHPP said:

I firmly believe that taxation is the worst human rights abuse the world has seen. It usually manifests itself as slavery (you’re working to pay it for about 80% of your working time) and then the proceeds are used to carry out a lot of other evil. It keeps people down their entire lives, never able to amass enough capital to live as well as they strive to. That’s horrible.

My initial claim might seem bold when you consider more popular injustices but stuff like the holocaust is frankly childsplay in comparison. Eleven million dead in five years is nothing compared to everyone who’s lived in the last five thousand years (a hundred billion maybe?) spending their entire lives miserable and under the gun.

What would be your ideal alternative?