"Clean Air Strategy" today we find out.

Woodworks

Oddly enough, ever since observing a rough agricultural tractor pulling into a filling station in Turkey, and filling up on diesel, which led me to  conclude they did not have rebated diesel.

Which led me to wonder why the UK persisted with this stupid abuse prone rebated diesel system.(and this was 30 years ago)

One diesel fuel only, simples, so some agricultural produce will cost a bit more, ditto for construction work, but most users will figure more economic ways of working, and life will go on.

The extra revenue should allow the Government to reduce the tax on diesel too, therefore lessening the impact, and indeed levelling the playing field in respect of agricultural tractors illegally competing for haulage work.

So a win-win-win

And that is from a farmers son.

Edited by difflock

6 minutes ago, difflock said:

Oddly enough, ever since observing a rough agricultural tractor pulling into a filling station in Turkey, and filling up on diesel, which led me to  conclude they did not have rebated diesel.

Which led me to wonder why the UK persisted with this stupid abuse prone rebated diesel system.(and this was 30 years ago)

One diesel fuel only, simples, so some agricultural produce will cost a bit more, ditto for construction work, but most users will figure more economic ways of working, and life will go on.

The extra revenue should allow the Government to reduce the tax on diesel too, therefore lessening the impact, and indeed levelling the playing field in respect of agricultural tractors illegally competing for haulage work.

So a win-win-win

As a farmer I have never liked the subsidies we receive as they are just bribes to keep us under their thumb. They make us unpopular with the public and do not reflect the real cost of food production.

An alien looking down at this country and many others would be appalled at the obesity epidemic which is followed by a massive bill from the NHS for diabetes, new hips , new knees, stress and much else.  Food is so cheap that nobody values it in the way they should..  A chicken should not cost £2.25

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/lidl-price-comparison/Fresh_Poultry/Sainsburys_British_Whole_Chicken_135Kg.html

so just the breast meat is cut off and the rest thrown away.  Bread should not be 35 pence a loaf as seen in our local Sainsbury, in fact they bake bread just to give the aroma to make people feel hungry so they buy more and then throw it away at the end of the day.  Best before dates need to be stopped.

All food needs the decimal point shifting one to the right, farmers would not need a subsidy, people would be more healthy and there would be less pressure on the NHS and food would be valued,  Win win situation

Except for the politicians who would be sacked if they dared increase the emotive issue of food price.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, difflock said:

So a win-win-win

Absolutely, just open to absolute abuse if it’s available anywhere, the cost difference would make it a real winner for an Ag guy doing some Plant on the side, by the time he’s carted it to site behind a Tractor and done a few shifts, a serious saving to be had.

Can’t see Farmers wanting to give it up easy and I’d expect some yellow vests will be protesting if they get penalised and Farmers don’t.

Eddie.

CharlgraveSteve 

exuse me but firewood is sustainable! It takes maybe 20 years or more to grow logs .

compared to 10’s of millions of years to produce the fuel in your car or holiday plain !!! 

Clamp down on those before firewood ! Not likely i know !

Not sustainable! Just plant a lot more trees ! Win win win, look at the jobs created.

oops I know you got shares in 

energy and oil company’s ! Right got it .

On 14/01/2019 at 21:04, Woodworks said:

Kiln dried is just a process for drying. It is a system that is capable of beating air dried given enough time and energy but no guarantee of quality.

True enough.  What I was driving at was that there's little point (in my view) of expending energy on kiln drying logs if they are not going to be stored in conditions that will keep them at that level of moisture content.  Unless these conditions can be provided by the end user (or the internediate seller) then the only person that benefits is the original supplier in that they can turn around wood quickly without necessarily needing to hold larger stocks on site to meet demand.

Also - and I know a moisture meter is not mega-accurate but my air dried logs here in rainy Fife are showing around 10% some of them currently.  Dried and stored outside but generally speaking open to the wind but no so much the rain.  But I can leave them there to dry for as long as I need (I think 2 years for what I'm burning at home now), which is not a luxury all have I suppose.

I just heard on the radio that all this new rules thing was to do with people burning the cheap prepacked logs form garage forecourts. Unfortunately with thinking like that becoming the norm, all reasonable argument is just superfluous.
"Cheap"?! Last time I noticed they were ridiculously expensive......£5 - £10 for sometimes a handful of wet logs!
I was forced into buying a couple of bags from B&Q once. They were shocking;- almost dripping with water and so damp that they were covered in mould. I was outraged, more so because it clearly stated SEASONED LOGS on the bag.
I'm not defending this new legislation BTW. Seems pretty stupid to bugger up the majority of decent firewood producers/suppliers just to catch a few offenders. B&Q, other DIY outlets and most garage chains are big businesses. Is this another example of big business getting away with too much again?

23 hours ago, Mark2 said:

The truth is the firewood industry is beginning to have a major impact on the major capitalist energy supplyers !

fire wood is a sustainable energy supply !!

not burning fossil fuels trapped in the ground for millions of years !

this is —- profit motive over environment !!!

give that man a medal,got it in one.

20 hours ago, openspaceman said:

That's a bit like saying stop all people throwing litter for a week and seeing the effect.

Except littler doesn't dissapate naturally in a short term.... And even if it did I'm more suggesting a voluntary cessation of one type of littering... Say littering by women (stove operation by those burning dry wood) to see if there is an effect on overall levels of litter.... No, actually it's more like looking at the affect of overall levels of a particular type of litter, say cigarette butts (pm 2.5).  In practice it's not feasible to get all stove owners to voluntarily stop for a week, and even if it were..... If it showed little change to the pm 2.5 levels then the authorities would question the participation levels rather than look to find other causes of that pollution!