"Clean Air Strategy" today we find out.

Woodworks

On 19/01/2019 at 21:50, Mark2 said:

Westphalian

i’d be interested on your general view from your neck of the woods.

Is there much new planting of hardwood comercal woodland ? FC, Private or the big comercal forestry companys ?

I work for the National Forest and we’ve transformed 200 square miles of the Midlands through the planting of 8.7 million trees, increasing Forest cover from 6% to more than 20%.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, saintsman54 said:

I work for the National Forest and we’ve transformed 200 square miles of the Midlands through the planting of 8.7 million trees, increasing Forest cover from 6% to more than 20%.

Wow you must be really proud of that ! You mate can walk with ya head held high.

can I ask your age ? I would like to think, that you will see that grow to maturity! No matter if not your kids and grand kids will. How many do you think you personaly planted ?

5 hours ago, Mark2 said:

Wow you must be really proud of that ! You mate can walk with ya head held high.

can I ask your age ? I would like to think, that you will see that grow to maturity! No matter if not your kids and grand kids will. How many do you think you personaly planted ?

I'm 27, and the project has been running for 25 years, so i hope i last long enough to see some mature woodland! 

I have only planted a handful, my role is the Woodland Management Officer, so i am more interested in cutting them down in first thinnings! 

• Like 1

On 18/01/2019 at 23:14, Woodworks said:

Not the dealer but the dealer quoting Esse apparently. Arada blog says "You should only ever burn seasoned wood with moisture content of below 20%. "

No indication anywhere that I can find to suggest any firms are asking for lower and our stove shop reassured me this was the case. Think we are pretty safe for some time thank goodness.

If you sell stoves that dont work with wood up to 20% it might be worth sourcing some other brands that do as it would make your life easier. 

20% is the max limit currently advised by Woodsure,  the firewood arm of Hetas,  stove manufacturers are on paper having to fall in line but talk to their tech people,  they want max 15% or 16%.   Reserch recently has suggested that the optimum MC for minimal emissions is 10%-12%.      All stove will burn 20% wood yes,  but emissions will be higher.  more soot,  slight deposits on the glass etc.  Wack some 5%- 10%  stuff in there and no issues at all.

I do NOT belong to Woodsure,  the levels are in my book far to high,  but they are being led by the nose by CW,  the Woodsure fees are so much a ton so they need CW on board to pay their overheads.

A

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alycidon said:

20% is the max limit currently advised by Woodsure,  the firewood arm of Hetas,  stove manufacturers are on paper having to fall in line but talk to their tech people,  they want max 15% or 16%.   Reserch recently has suggested that the optimum MC for minimal emissions is 10%-12%.      All stove will burn 20% wood yes,  but emissions will be higher.  more soot,  slight deposits on the glass etc.  Wack some 5%- 10%  stuff in there and no issues at all.

I do NOT belong to Woodsure,  the levels are in my book far to high,  but they are being led by the nose by CW,  the Woodsure fees are so much a ton so they need CW on board to pay their overheads.

A

At 5% you are into the too dry range and emissions go up again according to Woodsure. As many of us have pointed out countless times all this super dry wood idea is daft as our climate does not allow it to stay super dry as you well know. 

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 5

We all bring our seasoned wood inside a little at a time and store a few hours to a days worth beside the stove, where it dries a little more.  If I bring wood from the shed at ~18% MC, and sit it ½m from the stove, ambient conditions say 22C and 45% rh, but the ends facing the stove probably reaching 60C, does it dry measurably in 6 hours?  12 hours? 24? 48?  I'm just thinking, how big would my hearth rack need to be in order to achieve 15% MC as it goes to the flames.  I know I used to hear the odd crack from the stored wood drying slightly, although rarely now I'm 2+ years ahead on my wood.

1 hour ago, neiln said:

We all bring our seasoned wood inside a little at a time and store a few hours to a days worth beside the stove, where it dries a little more.  If I bring wood from the shed at ~18% MC, and sit it ½m from the stove, ambient conditions say 22C and 45% rh, but the ends facing the stove probably reaching 60C, does it dry measurably in 6 hours?  12 hours? 24? 48?  I'm just thinking, how big would my hearth rack need to be in order to achieve 15% MC as it goes to the flames.  I know I used to hear the odd crack from the stored wood drying slightly, although rarely now I'm 2+ years ahead on my wood.

This might be of interest 

3 hours ago, neiln said:

I've been replicating a bit of Beau's experiment with a freshly felled piece of ash round 11cms diameter by 24 cms long. My reason being to see if now I have to cut logs shorter could I avoid some splitting work. Graph shows drying adjacent to stove but off the hearth . If the ash was initially 35% mc wwb then it should be about 20% when it reaches 2010 grams, as of today it is 2051 grams. The way the graph is levelling out  its looking near sub 20% already after   nearly two months.

Conditions are similar to yours, in the same position a tea bag dries out in 24 hours.

So from an itial loss of 56 grams/day it is only losing around 1 gram now.

ashround.jpeg.08f38e3ab1d22aa3082090bece10c104.jpeg

My initial conclusion is that even logs this small should be split.

• Like 2

A

The fees aren't based on tonnage.