Woodworks

"Clean Air Strategy" today we find out.

On 14/01/2019 at 22:10, gdh said:

Apart from the boilers that burn waste sawdust etc most need sub 20% moisture to work properly. We dry our woodchip which we use for our kiln to less than 15. You just use a small percentage of what you've dried for the next lot. 

Biomass boilers are also much more efficient than any log burner so emissions would be much less.

How do you dry your wood chip ?

18 minutes ago, mixedangased said:

How do you dry your wood chip ?

We've put a vented floor in an old trailer and push hot air through it. Basically a grain drying floor on a very small scale. 

3 minutes ago, gdh said:

We've put a vented floor in an old trailer and push hot air through it. Basically a grain drying floor on a very small scale. 

Thanks ,

where’s the hot air from ? The kiln ?

13 minutes ago, mixedangased said:

Thanks ,

where’s the hot air from ? The kiln ?

Yes, we put a radiator on the infeed of a pressure fan.

On 19/01/2019 at 21:50, Mark2 said:

Westphalian

i’d be interested on your general view from your neck of the woods.

Is there much new planting of hardwood comercal woodland ? FC, Private or the big comercal forestry companys ?

I work for the National Forest and we’ve transformed 200 square miles of the Midlands through the planting of 8.7 million trees, increasing Forest cover from 6% to more than 20%.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, saintsman54 said:

I work for the National Forest and we’ve transformed 200 square miles of the Midlands through the planting of 8.7 million trees, increasing Forest cover from 6% to more than 20%.

Wow you must be really proud of that ! You mate can walk with ya head held high.

can I ask your age ? I would like to think, that you will see that grow to maturity! No matter if not your kids and grand kids will. How many do you think you personaly planted ?

5 hours ago, Mark2 said:

Wow you must be really proud of that ! You mate can walk with ya head held high.

can I ask your age ? I would like to think, that you will see that grow to maturity! No matter if not your kids and grand kids will. How many do you think you personaly planted ?

I'm 27, and the project has been running for 25 years, so i hope i last long enough to see some mature woodland! 

I have only planted a handful, my role is the Woodland Management Officer, so i am more interested in cutting them down in first thinnings! 

• Like 1

On 18/01/2019 at 23:14, Woodworks said:

Not the dealer but the dealer quoting Esse apparently. Arada blog says "You should only ever burn seasoned wood with moisture content of below 20%. "

No indication anywhere that I can find to suggest any firms are asking for lower and our stove shop reassured me this was the case. Think we are pretty safe for some time thank goodness.

If you sell stoves that dont work with wood up to 20% it might be worth sourcing some other brands that do as it would make your life easier. 

20% is the max limit currently advised by Woodsure,  the firewood arm of Hetas,  stove manufacturers are on paper having to fall in line but talk to their tech people,  they want max 15% or 16%.   Reserch recently has suggested that the optimum MC for minimal emissions is 10%-12%.      All stove will burn 20% wood yes,  but emissions will be higher.  more soot,  slight deposits on the glass etc.  Wack some 5%- 10%  stuff in there and no issues at all.

I do NOT belong to Woodsure,  the levels are in my book far to high,  but they are being led by the nose by CW,  the Woodsure fees are so much a ton so they need CW on board to pay their overheads.

A

• Like 1