"Clean Air Strategy" today we find out.

Woodworks

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

When he first joined he posted up few good posts on pruning which was very informative and helpfull. Then he went full on mental and cant help himself now. Makes for great reading though. :D 

Yep that was around about the time I started getting trolled !

but on the new members sub forum, I was warned ‘’ i’d need a stab proof jacket and a tetanus jab’’ at the time I took it as a joke ! Now I can see it was a threat !

well I don’t step back from threats I push back!

this is 3-4 sub forums that have been trashed by a hand full of thugs.including the intelligent and productive discussion on this thread !

• Like 1

On 17/01/2019 at 17:39, Woodworks said:

. Esse were the only ones happy with 25% for the max.

At least 20% is just achievable air dried. All ours that were super dry in the summer have gone back up to 19% now but stopped there.

As an Esse dealer I would be very interested to hear who at Esse said that,  pm if necessary.  All stove manufacturers want 16% or less,  the 20% is driven by HETAS/Woodsure and the stove manufacturers are trying to keep in line until Woodsure drops the level further.   Arada research has advised that the optimum moisture level for minimal emissions is 10%-12%.

A

34 minutes ago, Mark2 said:

Yep that was around about the time I started getting trolled !

but on the new members sub forum, I was warned ‘’ i’d need a stab proof jacket and a tetanus jab’’ at the time I took it as a joke ! Now I can see it was a threat !

well I don’t step back from threats I push back!

this is 3-4 sub forums that have been trashed by a hand full of thugs.including the intelligent and productive discussion on this thread !

A threat? FFS Man, it was a light hearted joke. No, you're to stupid to know when you're beaten, so you post more and more nonsensical links to ludicrous websites with outrageous and provable claims.  Its fun though, so keep it up. :)

9 hours ago, Alycidon said:

As an Esse dealer I would be very interested to hear who at Esse said that,  pm if necessary.  All stove manufacturers want 16% or less,  the 20% is driven by HETAS/Woodsure and the stove manufacturers are trying to keep in line until Woodsure drops the level further.   Arada research has advised that the optimum moisture level for minimal emissions is 10%-12%.

A

Not the dealer but the dealer quoting Esse apparently. Arada blog says "You should only ever burn seasoned wood with moisture content of below 20%. "

No indication anywhere that I can find to suggest any firms are asking for lower and our stove shop reassured me this was the case. Think we are pretty safe for some time thank goodness.

If you sell stoves that dont work with wood up to 20% it might be worth sourcing some other brands that do as it would make your life easier. 

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 3

On 17/01/2019 at 20:50, Gardenscape said:

I can't help but think these figures are faked and it's simply the government being in the pockets of the energy suppliers. More and more people are heating their homes with wood burners, less need for us to rely on the money grabbing energy suppliers. Just imaging the whole country was to move off grid next week, the energy companies would no way allow it to happen, even if it was the best move environmentally. Pollution from woodburners is a drop in the ocean in comparison to cars, trains, buses, aviation, and what about the planned 3rd runway at heathrow! What about the huge carbon footprint of running the kilns 24hrs a day and extra shipping from imports. Whilst I welcome the decision for tighter control of better quality wood, I think they should spend more time educating owners of wood burners about wood standards and what to buy.

When they start talking about 40,000 people dying because of air pollution I become very cynical.  But even if there are large numbers of people affected by air pollution how do we know which source is the worst.  I know it makes sense to try and burn dry wood at a high temperature but I feel sure that the impact of wood burning is negligible compared to fossil fuels from roads, sea,  air  and military let alone pollution from coal , woodchip, miscanthus fired power stations, factories producing  all manner of things including chemicals also general dust whipped up by transport and the Earth's climate bringing stuff from places like the Sahara Desert.  There is also acid rain to be added to the equation

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m in a quandary about all this. On the one hand, everybody knows we are fucked because turning your hall light out or pulling the plugs out at night so the red standby light goes off will not keep China and India catching up with the West in killing the planet. Deal with wood when you have dealt with absolutely everything else. Exhaust emissions are the killer but where to get the electric for electric cars? Nuclear doesn’t become profitable for decades and people are not ignorant of the fact that the hunt for more and more fossil fuels is not slowing down. It’s like a vegan couple saying they are not going to have children for environmental reasons. Pull the other one.

Action on wet wood burning? Just a smoke screen (pun intended)

Anyway, it was minus 2 here yesterday morning so that disproves so called global warming.

• Like 3

Moving this debate on —-

beyond doubt ! With the increased use of wood burners  and resulting demand for firewood timber. 

We should really be pushing a campaign for ‘new woodland’ planting not least as we now have Ash die back. Like Elm disease there will be a glut then a shortage. 

If as an industry we use more timber than we grow we’ll be part of the problem !

if we grow more than we use, we’re the salution. There can be no argument about this point within the present environmental debate !

beyond doubt energy sources will be stretched ours is the cleanest.

• Like 1