"Clean Air Strategy" today we find out.

Woodworks

41 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

I very much want to believe what you are quoting, I am a bit wary though as the Wood Heat Association are not exactly independent! 

It's actually very hard to get  a good handle on this and yest both the government report cited by the bbc and the stoves alliance are likely to be biased.

If you want to delve deeper:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/681445/Emissions_of_air_pollutants_statistical_release_FINALv4.pdf

I marvel at the claimed accuracy of the amounts of pollutants

• Like 1

Can someone find a chart which shows the percentage of each different particulate pollution in the uk.

I just have this feeling that although it is a good direction to go, to try and filter diesel fumes and wood smoke, or burn the correct material at the correct temperature, there may be more pollution every time half a dozen Euro fighters take off from our local RAF airbase, with full afterburner, than all the wood stoves in this county put together
I also cant help feel that although burning green logs in cities will uncountable contribute to air pollution, there must be bigger fish to fry on the air pollution front.
  • Like 3

Well you can mould statistics to back up whatever policy you want to pursue, and there are so many different pollutants here from particulates to NO2 to CO to CO2 all with different properties.

My own scientific research comes from my parents  sitting in front of uncontrolled open wood fires  for about 90 years, not to mention my father's lifetime of stubble burning, farm bonfires and filthy black diesel engine smoke.  Both parents died at nearly ninety years of age and it was not from lung problems.

I am not saying that these matters do not need to be addressed, just a sense of proportion.

Every time you they send a bombing mission to some far off land, how much pollution does that create compared to all the traffic pollution.  How much pollution is created by all the military manoeuvres as a percentage of all pollution?

They have done a good job so far with traffic in London in particular.  Back in the 1970s the air there used to sting your eyes and pea soup fogs were common all over the country.  I do not think I have seen such fogs for over twenty years, the kind where you have to ask a passenger to walk in front to find the kerb!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ah Ha!

I just remembered an interesting corollary, after the USSR collapsed, and Germany was reunited, a West German medical researcher decided to look at the incidences of asthma in East Germany, with its terrific levels of air pollution from power stations burning lignite, their poorer diet and poorer access to modern antibiotics compared to the ever so modern wealthy and clean West Germany.

He was staggered to find that the East Germans were significently healthier.

I cannot remember the "why", but undoubtedly the East Germans were healthier, particularily in respect of asthma.

Hmmmm?