"Clean Air Strategy" today we find out.

Woodworks

This is the Eco Design plan,  this proposed Europe wide strategy to reduce emissions by 2022 has been in the wings for a couple of years.  The UK stove industry want it introduced in 2020 but that does not look probable.   House Coal is the fuel likely to be banned as its very dirty.

Old designs of stoves that can be shut right down will be phased out, this has already been happening with some stove manufacturers for a year or so.   As far as I am aware there will  be no legal requirement to change an old design of stove for an EcoDesign approved one.   All EcoDesign stoves should be able to be used within smoke control areas. 

As a stove retailer I am pleased that finally the govt are finally moving forward with the issue.

A

• Like 1

Us woodburners had better watch out;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46823309

First find somebody to blame .  .  .

Or, like if air pollution caused this girls death, why is everbody else not dead, or at least seriously ill/somewhat ill at least?

I hasten to add, that I can only imagine what it would be like to lose a child, but illness and death are an unfortunate part of life, and finding someone to blame is not helpful.

Are "they" going to attempt to prevent pollen and natural air borne dust particles, etc etc.

Marcus

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SbTVF said:

Looks like they will indeed introduce a ban on the sale of over 20% moisture logs under a certain volume at a time but not insist upon woodsure certifications for those who are selling sub 20% logs

About time to,  I have had a least half a dozen occurrences of 'kiln dried' wood being 30% plus this winter so far.  

The 20% that Woodsure and Hetas say is acceptable is simply not low enough,  all stove manufacturers want 16% max, some ( Morso for instance) 15%.

a

Edited by Alycidon

About time to,  I have had a least half a dozen occurrences of 'kiln dried' wood being 30% plus this winter so far.  

Yeah same here. They'll never stop those who burn or sell wet wood on purpose though but they might reduce it a little. I don't think it'll achieve much overall but they just have to be seen to be making an effort I guess.

Now to decide wether going woodsure accredited is worth the hassle or not.??
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SbTVF said:

Yeah same here. They'll never stop those who burn or sell wet wood on purpose though but they might reduce it a little. I don't think it'll achieve much overall but they just have to be seen to be making an effort I guess.

Now to decide wether going woodsure accredited is worth the hassle or not.??

In my opinion it is NOT,   I had a detailed discussion with Helen Bently-Fox the organiser at an arb show about 5 years ago,   costs are far to high,  you are paying for them to come out and audit your wood, where it comes from, moisture level etc etc.  It cuts no ice at all with many people happy to change suppliers to save £5 on a load.   And its being driven by Certainly Wood IMHO,  why else would they say 20% MC is acceptable.

A

• Like 3