What Tracked Chipper???

josharb87

What tracked chipper is the allround best?

Ive recently sold my Jensen 530T. I liked its physical size, but spruce tops were a pain (lots of spruce here)

Im now considering buying new, or used if a good deal.

New options are Jensen (personal favourite) the 530T 37hp, or the 540T 50hp, both fixed or varitrack, both with hydraulic winch. Or Timberwolf 230VTR +winch. I don't consider there to be any other new alternatives.

However, I've found a few used machines online, TW190TFTR 45hp, Greenmech 19-28 45hp (both about 500hours, both ex hire) and the wildcat, Bandit 75, 45hp 900hours (although the size is off-putting thinking about it)

Offroad ability is pretty important.

Not really interested in Först, never used one but they seem to be a poorly made Jensen copy where you really NEED the 3yr warranty...correct me if i'm wrong?

Is there any news on the vermeer 190 being on tracks?

Anyone any views?

Just now, josharb87 said:

What tracked chipper is the allround best?

Ive recently sold my Jensen 530T. I liked its physical size, but spruce tops were a pain (lots of spruce here)

Im now considering buying new, or used if a good deal.

New options are Jensen (personal favourite) the 530T 37hp, or the 540T 50hp, both fixed or varitrack, both with hydraulic winch. Or Timberwolf 230VTR +winch. I don't consider there to be any other new alternatives.

However, I've found a few used machines online, TW190TFTR 45hp, Greenmech 19-28 45hp (both about 500hours, both ex hire) and the wildcat, Bandit 75, 45hp 900hours (although the size is off-putting thinking about it)

Offroad ability is pretty important.

Not really interested in Först, never used one but they seem to be a poorly made Jensen copy where you really NEED the 3yr warranty...correct me if i'm wrong?

Is there any news on the vermeer 190 being on tracks?

Anyone any views?

A colleague of mine has a 1928 on tracks. Isuzu engine (Not sure if they all have the same unit) but it has been very problematic. A mixture of overheating and electrical issues. Downtime has been significant and costly. Sub 1000 hrs when purchased. A good machine when working and well able to handle brashy material. There's good and bad out there but from his experience, it would be well down on my list. Ps. There's a 1928 near me for sale ex hire. Non runner due to cost of replacing the control panel..

parts may be expensive.

a big nhs on a track dumper base is probably one of the best machines I've seen! Bulky though. Bandits are savages. If size/weight wasn't a factor it could be your best bet?

• Like 1

I can only comment on my forst tr6 and its been a brilliant machine. 

Owner operator and had since new for 4years. 

Tracking cables replaced under warrenty and hydraulic pump replaced due to one side tracking. Probably just needed rebalencing to track straight but they just swapped the pump. 

No down time for me in the time I've had it and it does chip very well. 

All I would say is if your buying anything new and going to keep it get a diesel kubota before they phase them out on any of the 6inch machines.

Jim

• Like 1

Have recently bought a new Forst TR8 and am very happy with its performance and productivity so far. Looked at a number of tracked machines at the APF show in Sept and the Forst machines looked better built and more solid than its equivalent Timberwolf and greenmech machines. I was also considering Jensen but wasn’t as impressed with them as I though I would be. Also the fact that there was no Irish dealer appointed at the time I went the TR8.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies so far 

Conor, interesting you say the greenmechs been unreliable, never really heard about them being unreliable before. I think the Bandit might not be the right machine, nimble manoeuvrability is pretty important to me.

S o c, the 230 sure is impressive, and apart from the odd horror story seem to be lasting well.

Thanks Mick, how'd it compare performance wise to your först? Ive used the smaller, 16-23 safe track and was really impressed with that, guessing the 19-28 is even better.

Good to hear your machines been good Chopper Brown, and you're pleased with yours APB.

The backup in the uk is renowned to be awesome, but im in sweden, and very much doubt the back up will be half as good as the uk, the new swedish dealer is 6hour drive away.

TW is 30minutes to my east, Jensen 30 to my west and only heard horror stories about the Greenmech dealer here unfortunately.

I would say it was comparable, the rollers were very worn and the anvil was rounded badly, but a nice big flywheel, loved the big stuff.

Mine was a 55 hp model, really liked the way you could disengage the flywheel and flick a switch to reduce the revs so idling was easier.

I had to fix a lot of things because the machine was ex hire and badly treated, but in fixing stuff  we saw and appreciated the thinking behind the build.

I keep looking at a tracked one myself but my heart is set on a TP215,  salesman is coming to demo one soon.

We will put it right next to the Forst and really see what’s what.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

Mick, do you mind me asking why you are changing from Forst. Hoping to change our tow behind Vermeer 935 this year. Ideally Am looking at a 12 inch capacity machine but am also considering a ST8 which may suit budget better.
Tks
Tony

4 minutes ago, APB said:

Mick, do you mind me asking why you are changing from Forst. Hoping to change our tow behind Vermeer 935 this year. Ideally Am looking at a 12 inch capacity machine but am also considering a ST8 which may suit budget better.
Tks
Tony

It’s been a disappointment, build/reliability wise. 

Others have been very pleased with theirs and I cannot fault Redwood, excellent after sales service.

It is three years old now so it’s the right time to chop it in.