What Tracked Chipper???

josharb87

SafeTrak 19-28's are awesome bits of kit. Versatile, easy to work on, mechanically well thought out etc.

The "poor reliability" as previously mentioned is most likely because they get worked to death on the rail line and often no proper breaks for maintenance. The contractors chop them in for new, the old units get sold on (often on eBay) and they're nigh on worn out.

Time is money on the line and years of "make do and mend" repairs can take there toll. We see it all the time.

We have two 19-28's in our workshop currently, 4 years old and 2,000 hours on them! That's some wood chipped.

With so many more SafeTrak 19-28's being sold to rail than any other manufacture you naturally end up with a big pool of used ones. Nothing wrong with that, just need to understand what you are buying.

Unless you want variable tracks,  go for a fixed track. Its probably had a much easier life.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, swinny said:

Anywhere nearer Josh? 

Tr8 look good but too many horror stories for me to go for one :(

Little bit.

the Swedish Jensen dealer has matched the best price I found in the UK.

“Only” 5k difference between a först tr8 45hp with winch (although unsure if it’s hydraulic or electric) and a Jensen 540T with hydraulic winch and 50hp engine upgrade. 

So so between those two it’s the jensen

Still waiting for the TW230 price, mates rates but the other partner who’s on holiday needs to agree.

Its a heavy lean towards the Jensen right now 

There was 3 utility gangs cutting back near HV lines near mine a couple of years ago 1 lot had a tracked jensen lot 2 had frost 6 towed and 3 had a 19-28 at the end of the day it chipped up everything others could not clear by the end of the day think there was 3 blokes chucking brash in it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, woody paul said:

There was 3 utility gangs cutting back near HV lines near mine a couple of years ago 1 lot had a tracked jensen lot 2 had frost 6 towed and 3 had a 19-28 at the end of the day it chipped up everything others could not clear by the end of the day think there was 3 blokes chucking brash in it.

They seem to be very handy money second hand as a road tow machine

Just now, woody paul said:

really depends on engine size...hard to compare 19-28 is 50h/p and the jensen may have been 35hp.......but if u work along steep bankings the safe traks the boy..i have tw 230vtr.......it goes anywhere but i nvr work along steep bankings ..always up and down......if you do woodland work ur better with varied tracks than solid base.

38 minutes ago, slasherscot said:

really depends on engine size...hard to compare 19-28 is 50h/p and the jensen may have been 35hp.......but if u work along steep bankings the safe traks the boy..i have tw 230vtr.......it goes anywhere but i nvr work along steep bankings ..always up and down......if you do woodland work ur better with varied tracks than solid base.

I was curious to know what a 19-28 would be like as an upgrade from the 6" 35hp machines......

the Tw230dhb has a great opening for the feed rollers... is the 19-28 bigger and would it beat the tw230 on productivity. I dont think the tw230 is going to last as long as the older 150's did

I’ve got a 1928 safetrak that has done at least 3000 hours and it’s still a great chipper.

The 1928 road tow is one of the most underrated chippers out there imo - I’ve had a few now (2 of which got nicked and have yet to turn up...). The top mounted stop bar and feed hopper shape are great - they are a fantastic machine that can be picked up for not-a-lot of money. Look out for water contamination in the hydraulic oil (the early ones had a design fault with the breathers, it doesn’t affect the safetrak though). Otherwise they are pretty much bombproof with regular maintenance. 

• Like 2

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 18:13, swinny said:

I was curious to know what a 19-28 would be like as an upgrade from the 6" 35hp machines......

the Tw230dhb has a great opening for the feed rollers... is the 19-28 bigger and would it beat the tw230 on productivity. I dont think the tw230 is going to last as long as the older 150's did

The 19-28 has a bigger opening. It is a 7.5" machine with a 190mm x 280mm infeed throat.

The TW230DHB is a 6" machine with a 160mm x 230mm. They painted the surround black to give the illusion of a big infeed.

Two different machines... If you are looking at new road tow machines, also check out the GreenMech Arborist 200. The 19-28 road tow is still available but the Arborist 200 has some great new features and benefits for the same price.

If you are looking at used, 19-28 road tows are a great bit of kit for not huge money. 

• Like 3