What Tracked Chipper???

josharb87

Sorry for derail. There’s a tr8 and a tr6 on donedeal at the moment (Along with an Isuzu Arb truck)
both unused .
totally genuine, we bought the other truck

I have seen this and wondered what the background was to it was and if genuine. Trucks seemed up for sale for a while but all Seems like good value if in the market for them.
Trucks look like a good set up with the chip boxes - well wear

We had a tracked TW230 on hire for a week as working away from home, so could drop at hirer at night to save it going missing. Impressed with it agile and gutsy, only design niggle we could see was on the infeed side, because it had a removable hopper, to allow this there is a 3" adaptor piece. The adaptor piece gives another change of profile to the infeed, IIRC there are 3or 4 changes of angles so a pain as they snap when feeding. When I looked at the road tow it did not have the adaptor as not needed, so much easier feeding.

5 hours ago, Conor Wright said:

A colleague of mine has a 1928 on tracks. Isuzu engine (Not sure if they all have the same unit) but it has been very problematic. A mixture of overheating and electrical issues. Downtime has been significant and costly. Sub 1000 hrs when purchased. A good machine when working and well able to handle brashy material. There's good and bad out there but from his experience, it would be well down on my list. Ps. There's a 1928 near me for sale ex hire. Non runner due to cost of replacing the control panel..

parts may be expensive.

a big nhs on a track dumper base is probably one of the best machines I've seen! Bulky though. Bandits are savages. If size/weight wasn't a factor it could be your best bet?

Do you have any details of that 1928 that’s for sale? 

1 minute ago, monkeybusiness said:

Do you have any details of that 1928 that’s for sale? 

Can find out during the week. It needs a new control panel.. somehow it got properly smashed. Previous to that it was working, I used it once myself when the bandit the same company had was unavailable, it's tow behind, not tracked. there is a sizable auction there in February, it may be coming up on that. Cannot vouch for the machine as i do not know all its historybut I can find out some facts and figures on it. Machine is in Galway 

• Like 1

If you want something manoeuvrable that can get to your worksite pretty much wherever it is there is nothing that will touch a 1928 safetrak.

They need maintaining (like anything really) and I wouldn’t pay any attention to the hours showing on them as the boxes have a habit of resetting...

Isuzu engined ones are the earlier Mk1, but I prefer them tbh. Overheating problems will almost definitely be down to a blocked radiator - there could potentially be an issue with the engine if it has been allowed to overheat too much though. The control boxes are good at shutting them down if they overheat/have an oil pressure issue etc, but will also shutdown if a bonnet switch etc is loose which can give a false overheat alert (making you think there is an issue when there isn’t). 

Sharp feed rollers (dress them up in situ with a flap disk on a 4.5 inch grinder - a horrible job but makes a big difference) and sharp disks give a machine that will feed as well as any of the competition. There’s a strip of metal that partially closes off the rotor exit chute which gets broken off - they block with this missing but not many people realise this causes the problem.

Small Bandits are not much good from my experience - nothing like their big brothers. Stick with something European if it is on tracks and to be towed behind a van/pickup.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, APB said:

I have seen this and wondered what the background was to it was and if genuine. Trucks seemed up for sale for a while but all Seems like good value if in the market for them.
Trucks look like a good set up with the chip boxes - well wear

Thanks. Yes , I thought trucks were good value.  Both unused, only 400 miles on mine when I collected it.

seller is a very genuine guy with other businesses . Choppers haven’t even had a branch through them.

Id advise you look into forsts a lot further before taking a leap....

jensen have always been rediculous on new price. 

Do you regret selling the a530 now?

surely cheaper to buy a 2-3 yr old a540? 

Think its hard to find something. In the 6-8” bracket that suits nowadays

Edited by swinny