Milling small ash

Paul in the woods

8 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

If you dont have a use for them its a lot of work for something that of no real use to you and of little value. Personally Id just log them up. :D

I don't have a specific use but do need wood for floorboards, a new kitchen, shelving etc. I'd rather have some planks sitting about waiting rather than having to buy stuff in.

I have plenty of mature ash as well but the access to that is terrible so that may be logged. The young ash would be more manageable for me as a hobbyist with a chainsaw mill, although I've noted Mr Hewn's comments about a bandsaw.

1 hour ago, Paul in the woods said:

I don't have a specific use but do need wood for floorboards, a new kitchen, shelving etc. I'd rather have some planks sitting about waiting rather than having to buy stuff in.

I have plenty of mature ash as well but the access to that is terrible so that may be logged. The young ash would be more manageable for me as a hobbyist with a chainsaw mill, although I've noted Mr Hewn's comments about a bandsaw.

Less waste with a bandsaw too, especially if cutting small pieces, Alaskan is great for the big and or inaccessible stuff, from the little ash I have milled, it is nice wood when mature but somewhat less interesting when younger.

Makes it no less satisfying to mill and make something from, mind.

I would say if your heart is in it, go for it.. but mill it fresh and dry it slow.. it likes to crack! 

Probably best to quarter saw for flooring so might be best suited as shelving or kitchen units given that it's small and to qs that will leave you with tiny board a and a lot of waste.

• Like 1

I've been cutting and splitting some young ash and mature ash into logs and the difference is noticeable. The young ash is much more stringy and fibrous than the older ash and the older ash seems more dusty when cutting. I wonder if planks from the young ash would be less durable.

Ash is not a durable outdoor wood.
It will rot and get eaten if left wet or on soil.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

If you dont have a use for them its a lot of work for something that of no real use to you and of little value. Personally Id just log them up. :D 

Ive got for 40" Plus Ash Logs that Im debating if I'll bother slabbing or not? I just find Ash so boring to look at. 

Ash boring??????  Well I know what you mean but a lot depends on the log and it has very clear grain so the first few boards and the last few from a log can be stunners.  The middle ones may be a little plain.  I will see if I can take some photos of some gorgeous boards I have....might convert you!

11 hours ago, Squaredy said:

Ash boring??????  Well I know what you mean but a lot depends on the log and it has very clear grain so the first few boards and the last few from a log can be stunners.  The middle ones may be a little plain.  I will see if I can take some photos of some gorgeous boards I have....might convert you!

Some pics would be nice. :D Might convince to mill my Ash Butts. Out of interest have you ever quater sawn Ash? Is it worth it?

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

Some pics would be nice. :D Might convince to mill my Ash Butts. Out of interest have you ever quater sawn Ash? Is it worth it?

I will get some pics.  I never purposely quarter-saw Ash, but when milling logs of course you always end up with a few quarter-sawn boards.  They are the most boring ash boards - not like Oak or Alder where you get lovely medullary rays.  I suppose the boards would be more stable, but very uninteresting.

• Like 1