Google has just freaked me out!

kevinjohnsonmbe

I wonder if it has the functionality to recognise pre-set keywords and bombard targeted people that have 'forgotten' to pay their invoices so as to save me chasing them up - my least favourite part of this game.

So, for example, if I said "...I wonder if that that snaky bastard from Wotton Under Edge is as careless with his invoicing for his private dental practice as he is when 'forgetting' to pay for the particularly tortuous work that was done at his hillside coastal holiday home..." I'd happily pay a notional fee to have him bombarded with 'moral compass' references....  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Try an experiment: say a phrase clearly and loudly like "Shall we go to the cinema?" and then open Google maps. See if it happens again?

Bit tricky that one....

Nearest picture house is across the river and it probably already knows I don't go into Devon unless in case of national emergency...

I'm going to ponder some cheeky testers!

My Saturday night..

Watched the first hour of The Revenant on tape, unfuckingremitting misery.

Switched  to The Greatest Dancer which made me wish I had been killed and eaten by the grizzly bear in The Revenant 

Watched The revenant a couple of weeks back, enjoyed it despite it being absolutely ridiculous that any human could survive what Mr Glass did! Looked as it was a wee bit tougher to make a pound back then.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mull said:

Watched The revenant a couple of weeks back, enjoyed it despite it being absolutely ridiculous that any human could survive what Mr Glass did! Looked as it was a wee bit tougher to make a pound back then.

Eggzackerly, anyway, it’s on pause, I’ll finish it off tomorrow.

4 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

As a very rare deviation from the usual Saturday night steak dinner we are having a Chinese takeaway.

This is a totally random and exceptionally rare event - there is no routine pattern or frequency.

We were just talking about ordering by phone when the conversation changed to something else that caused me to open Google street view to find a business totally unrelated to the previous discussion.

Clicked the cursor in the search box, didn't type anything, but the list of suggestions that came up was as shown in the attached pic.  I've never used Google maps to find the local Chinese (I already know where it is!)

How is this even possible?  We don't have "Alexa" or any other voice activated tech.  Has Google already infiltrated our minds and our homes?

I'm by no means a tin foil hat merchant but this apparent "coincidence" has pretty much freaked me out....

Screenshot 2019-01-12 at 17.39.42.png

Hi 

Worked with a German UXO disposal guy a while back whom would not entertain smart phones, face book, twitter etc etc he was adamant about it. After a bit of  banter and mickey taking his reason given was after growing up in the former East Germany and being subject to the scrutiny and eavesdropping on everyday citizens by the Stasi he would never again utilise any device or bit of kit that enabled people to keep tracks on him. He was a switched on very clever guy and no conspiracy theory type but he believed whole heartedly based upon his past experiences that the state and the likes  of google Facebook etc etc were not to be trusted.