Training course for tractor winch

swinny

Hi there,

Does anyone know of anywhere that runs a course on assisting fells and skidding with a tractor and winch.

We have cs32 and know about assited fells etc but I want to further my knowledge with working more closely with machinery.

May end up having to tagg along with an arbtalker for the day in the woods to watch and learn if cannot fond a course. If i can find someone to take me for the day ? 

Cheers Chris

38 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Chris, why not just YouTube it?

Common sense stuff really, don’t stand in the triangle, put a coat on the line..

I want a better understanding so I can show the lads how to do it also / supervise. Like to be safe and on top of the job.

I wont be using it for match sticks either so want to know more about loads and breaking strains etc

As an absolutely untrained person, I bought a forestry winch, hooked it on the old DB1490, and commenced using it.

Without watching YouTube.

Despite it being the faster line speed model it all happens in slow motion, as in the front wheels will lift, and lift, and lift, giving anyone 1/2 competent more than adequate time to react.

And since the "winch in" button must be depressed to winch, all rather fail-safe in operation.

As for sideways pulls etc etc, this should be an obvious no-no, or rather approached with suitable trepidation.

Ditto for staying out of the way or reach of a broken wire, though it should be impossible to break the wire, as it is simply so easy to run a way over-specced (i.e. in tensile strength) wire, so that failure mode is the winch or tractor stalling.

And damage to the wire should be easy to discern, when pulling it out.

So I experienced a few "learning experiences" but all with zero risk or fuss

But one cannot fix stupid, and I understand your reservations with respect to employee safety.

Marcus

EDIT
Dammit, I saw that very clip earlier today, but see my "cannot fix stupid" comment.

Like no lower pully, all simple leverage stuff(to me at least)

Edited by difflock

We have a winch course and assessment on Tuesday with Mike Crutchley. Sub 2.5t tractor, 3.2t winch, 4 of us, £250 a man.

He travels around the country and there are other NPTC assessors around the UK. Dick Bradshaw would be closer to you I think.