Diversifying when getting too old to climb

Arbre

Looking for any bright ideas on good diversifying options when the body tells me to slow down. 

Being 55 I’m needing to decrease the hard days breaking my back so thinking what else can I do for maybe 1 or 2 days a week that will still earn a few quid. 

I’ve got loads of wood lying around, some seasoned, some green, all shapes and sizes. Then I’ve got full access to my friends carpentry workshop - that’s saws, planners, thichnissers, woodturner, etc and like the idea of creating something rather than reducing/killing things!

Thought of chopping boards, turned bowls, etc but hoping to be inspired by something else?

1 hour ago, Haironyourchest said:

Chunky natural furniature, indoor/outdoor?

Possible - got 4 big oak planks cut about 5 years ago. Was thinking could ask my carpenter buddy to help me make some sort of simple cottage-style table. 

Edited by Arbre

it seems to me the main thing with rustic furniture and garden tree trunk derived features is finding a buyer. I've seen stands for outdoor pot plants made with three or four trunk discs arranged around a pole like steps on a spiral staircase 200 quid wtf.

those upmarket out of town garden/home stores with a coffee shop seem to get people to part with a lot of money for not a lot of wood

I worked with a gardener of 71 last year, he'd kept one last customer, nice 2 acre plot, couldn't top the hedges himself anymore. He's bought himself a lovely big bungalow, probably £450k worth and told me he bought out his daughters house for her when she divorced. Apart from the money I expect the exercise does him good. Why not do tree cutting 2 days a week and potter about arts and crafts for the rest?

Edited by tree-fancier123
  • Like 1