Today's milling

Rough Hewn

22 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Ah, I thought you where showing how much you had left in the tank. :D Kidding. 

My 088 loves a drink when Milling too. I'm waiting on an excuse to get it down to him one day. :D 

When I Milled some Cherry it warped and split like crazy. Even weighed down with a whole bunch of Tractor weights. 

?

Time is money, ported saws cut quicker!! 

That's filled me with confidence!! 

I've stickered up, and there is plenty of airflow and I'll put the beech on top too

So we'll see what happens I guess 

22 minutes ago, Stihl123 said:

I've stickered up, and there is plenty of airflow and I'll put the beech on top too

More airflow the quicker it dies and more likely to twist? Just thinking out loud. Im gonna be dropping some cherry soon and would like to Mill it. Saying that I milled it all at 1", maybe if I milled it at 2" I could save the middle 1"? :D 

Let me know how it goes over the next few weeks. 

20 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

More airflow the quicker it dies and more likely to twist? Just thinking out loud. Im gonna be dropping some cherry soon and would like to Mill it. Saying that I milled it all at 1", maybe if I milled it at 2" I could save the middle 1"? :D 

Yeh just what I was told ref more airflow the better 

But be good if one of the milling guys said their thoughts as best thing to do please? 

Cheers 

Edited by Stihl123

19 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Yeh just what I was told rev more airflow the better 

But be good if one of the milling guys said their thoughts as best thing to do please? 

Cheers 

Just now, Stihl123 said:

Yeh just what I was told ref more airflow the better 

Cheers 

I dont think its a case of the more airflow the better. Its a balancing act and some seem to prefer thickier stickers than others. Maybe some prefer thicker or thinner sticks depending on what they are drying, but 1" seems to be banded about quite a lot. In the 3 years Ive been milling I find 3/4" a nice balance. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Forest2Furniture said:

How thick are the stickers and where have you stacked them to dry?

25x38mm roof batten i use

stacked in the little covered area made from pallet tops, so air flow all 4 sides and stacked off the ground obviously and a roof

if that makes sense! 

4 minutes ago, Stihl123 said:

25x38mm roof batten i use

stacked in the little covered area made from pallet tops, so air flow all 4 sides and stacked off the ground obviously and a roof

if that makes sense! 

Those battens are to thick, I wouldn't use anything thicker than 25mm, ideally 18mm and make sure it's the untreated roof battens otherwise it will mark the timber.

I dry all my timber in an open sided barn and to date after 15 years I've never had to band my timber to keep it flat unless it's softwood such as Larch

Edited by Forest2Furniture
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1