Today's milling

Rough Hewn

2 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Very nice!

If I get some 1m Oak in again I think I'll take Big J's advice and split it in half with the Alaskan. Sounds like that would take slightly less time and less work as well. Might even take a couple of full sized boards outta the middle that would naturally be quarter sawn then cargo strap the remaining halves together, rotate 90 degrees and run the Alaskan through them again. 

Any pics of the finished product? 

I'll get some pictures of the boards after the weekend.  If Big J hadn't sold all his chainsaw milling kit before we took over, then that's what we would have done!  If we end up doing more quarter sawing, it may be worth us investing in some kit for dealing with oversized logs.

• Like 2

I'll get some pictures of the boards after the weekend.  If Big J hadn't sold all his chainsaw milling kit before we took over, then that's what we would have done!  If we end up doing more quarter sawing, it may be worth us investing in some kit for dealing with oversized logs.

An excellent idea,
You'll need extra deep cut uprights to mill that deep.
But the middle is the best and widest boards.
A 60" panther mill should do the job nicely.
[emoji106]

• 2 weeks later...

On 06/12/2019 at 22:01, ARV said:

Could you cleave it in to quarters? You would waste a few boards but it might be quicker

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Hand balled another oak into the Mill today. Gotta stop doing it this way before I lose my legs! ? IMG_5252.jpg

That set up in the pic cost very little Andy. I’m gonna weld some small bars/ridges on ramps and pull with a small bridle to stop logs sliding off centre. But yeah I will agree hand balling can catch you out quickly if you are not careful. 

CE097892-FAC6-4D6D-A8BB-923682C93885.png

• Like 2

Just now, Johnsond said:

That set up in the pic cost very little Andy. I’m gonna weld some small bars/ridges on ramps and pull with a small bridle to stop logs sliding off centre. But yeah I will agree hand balling can catch you out quickly if you are not careful. 

CE097892-FAC6-4D6D-A8BB-923682C93885.png

Logosol dont have a winch for my Mill but I do intend on getting one fabricated up. Well, getting the local Smiddy to do it for me. :D My Mill Trailer has the ability to add another 2 Sidewinders on. But Im planning on using one of these mounts to house a Socket that will take a Winch much like your design.  Just not got around to it yet and when I popped past he was on Holiday.

34 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Logosol dont have a winch for my Mill but I do intend on getting one fabricated up. Well, getting the local Smiddy to do it for me. :D My Mill Trailer has the ability to add another 2 Sidewinders on. But Im planning on using one of these mounts to house a Socket that will take a Winch much like your design.  Just not got around to it yet and when I popped past he was on Holiday.

That trailer certainly looks robust enough Andy to take the type of bracket I put on mine. Be a shame to compromise the galvo like. The bolt on bracket idea is probs best for sure. I was using a clogger with some climbing rope when doing it manually, very easy to pull up as you go up to act as a safety mechanism to stop the whole lot coming back at you. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi Andy why not get a winch ,there is a good vid on the woodland mills site of any easy set up it’s what I have done but yet to use ,hopefully I will get a chance on Friday if I do I will try and take a vid and post it .

Happy Christmas Mark 

I'll get one fabbed up soon. :)  Logosol dont offer one for this Mill.