Today's milling

Rough Hewn

On 10/05/2019 at 17:01, se7enthdevil said:

certainly looks it but as they are not common at that size i don't have much to reference.

bark looks like S, acuparia...

a quote from the net.

The wood is pale yellow-brown with a deeper brown heartwood. It is strong, hard and tough, but not particularly durable. It is sometimes used in turnery, furniture, craftwork and engraving.

what is the size of that log saul???

Aye, whitebeam by the looks of it. Colouration will be likely due to fungal activity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AHPP said:

Not an expert but that looks like absolutely superb quality timber.

Thanks. The quality of some of the wood I see down here in my holler is pretty amazing. I'm like a kid in a candy store when I get into a really nice log, drooling over every board as it comes off the mill. It seriously slow down the process, but it sure is fun!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, se7enthdevil said:

whitebeam has a different bark in my excperience.

also the wood is different to look at.

We felled quite a few of them a few years ago around south shields, they almost all looked like that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, axehaircut said:

Cuts wide timber emoji3.png seriously though it’s good in terms of being able to quickly pick your cutting plane so you can break down timber accurately. As with everything the right chain makes the job. The set up in the pick will cut 50 inches. Cutting a very large beech on Friday and I’ll post a pic.
It’s stable but needs the hammer in pins along the rails. The channel on the ends sits on a piece of angle so we have various sizes of wooden spacers that you use to measure how far to drop the angle and in turn your next cut. So once you get your first cutting plane then level both sides you can just use the spacers unless your doing something funky! I’m not particularly good at this “writing up” so if you have a question please feel free. (I’ve used pretty much all the Logosol gear but no other brands so I’m clueless in regards comparison)

50"? Cool. What Saw do you use for that? I'd like one but juct cant justify the cost. Its insane for what it seems to look like. Even without the Chainsaw its almost Bandsaw territory and it looks like there is so few parts to justify the cost. Plus how long it would take me to recuperate that cost. 

Ive got the Logosol B751 and kinda have a M7, lol. 

• Like 1

50"? Cool. What Saw do you use for that? I'd like one but juct cant justify the cost. Its insane for what it seems to look like. Even without the Chainsaw its almost Bandsaw territory and it looks like there is so few parts to justify the cost. Plus how long it would take me to recuperate that cost. 

Ive got the Logosol B751 and kinda have a M7, lol. 

M7 and B751 are great.
M880. With the superskip it’s very easy on everything including operator. There’s not a whole lot in it BUT it was interesting listening to everyone talking in one of the other threads about breaking down large timber for center slabs. This is what these do so it can make sense at a particular scale of biz. 2 people and some home fabricated engineering means you can handle this big timber. The alternatives are extremely expensive (well to me!) from cutting to handling. From your perspective think how much big (quality)timber you come across. That dictates a lot.
  • Like 4

Been flat out over the last three days milling Oak up to 16 ft long and 28'' wide max x 2'' t  for a client. There are some more boards and some mantles the other side of the stack. All done with the Alaskan. One very very happy customer.

oak romsey34.jpg

oak romsey30.jpg

oak romsey18.jpg

oak romsey25.jpg

• Like 9