Today's milling

Rough Hewn

Saul would be the best man for prices.   
But for Oak I sell Green at £4 a board foot. Semi-seasoned/seasoned at £6 a board foot and nicely figured at £8 a board foot. 

Spalted Beech I really dont know. Ive got some cracking slabs that have now spalted and 4 years air dried. I was not really a  fan of Beech but I was very happy with how it came out in the wee Rocking Horse I built so will use it for more projects now. I dont think its as desirable as Oak and Elm. 

You never said if the slabs are seasoned or green. Id assume you mean green? There's a man here would would most likley buy them off you but Id say they are worth maybe 1/3 less than Oak? 

But Sauls your man to get a more definitive answer. 
IMG_8233.thumb.jpg.3ab13ccaa619a4cdc47683779c4c8adc.jpgIMG_5941.thumb.jpg.8a0451b80ad36db4dd8a05b229ff9575.jpg

Yiu nutter!
£4,6,8?????!!!!!
Have you not looked at the prices on other websites?
Kiln dried imported oak is £6.50 per linear foot of 6”x2” if I remember correctly.
Yours is British!
And that was a few years back.
Also because of the rona and brexit the price of wood is going up daily!
Have a rethink of your pricing bud,
you’re robbing yourself.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Rough Hewn said:

Green £100 wholesale 
Air dried at 20% mc £175 
Kiln dried at 8% mc £200-£300 
This is all dependant on decent character.
All prices are a vague guide.
emoji106.png

Green £100 wholesale = £2 a board foot.
Air dried at 20% mc £175 = £3.75 a board foot. 
Kiln dried at 8% mc £200-£300 = £4-£6 a board foot

Edited by trigger_andy
  • Like 2

Just now, Rough Hewn said:

Yiu nutter!
£4,6,8?????!!!!!
Have you not looked at the prices on other websites?
Kiln dried imported oak is £6.50 per linear foot of 6”x2” if I remember correctly.
Yours is British!
And that was a few years back.
Also because of the rona and brexit the price of wood is going up daily!
Have a rethink of your pricing bud,
you’re robbing yourself.
emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

Fair enough. :D 

Scottish. ;) :P 

I'll start looking at better pricing as I start to establish myself a little better. Up till now its just been a beer tokens and still making a of of cash off of it considering Im paid from my employer each day anyway. 

My mates an Oak Framer and gets his oak through Jewsons of all people. Jewsons have the contacts and its generally French Oak. He's not paying remotely £6.50 a linear foot, at least he was not pre-covid and Brexit. As you say times have changed.

That Geert guy you mentioned to me a while ago has another 20-40t of Elm in. Supposedly sold a load to Wales at £200 a ton. I know for a fact he's buying it in at £80-100. Asking if I want a some at that price, never said much after I told him I know the same folk you're buying it off of at £80 a ton. :D I really need to get 10t in soon. 

• Like 1

Saul would be the best man for prices.   
But for Oak I sell Green at £4 a board foot. Semi-seasoned/seasoned at £6 a board foot and nicely figured at £8 a board foot. 

Spalted Beech I really dont know. Ive got some cracking slabs that have now spalted and 4 years air dried. I was not really a  fan of Beech but I was very happy with how it came out in the wee Rocking Horse I built so will use it for more projects now. I dont think its as desirable as Oak and Elm. 

You never said if the slabs are seasoned or green. Id assume you mean green? There's a man here would would most likley buy them off you but Id say they are worth maybe 1/3 less than Oak? 

But Sauls your man to get a more definitive answer. 
IMG_8233.thumb.jpg.3ab13ccaa619a4cdc47683779c4c8adc.jpgIMG_5941.thumb.jpg.8a0451b80ad36db4dd8a05b229ff9575.jpg

Well thanks for the info. Cracking work on the rocking horse!!!
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Green £100 wholesale
Air dried at 20% mc £175
Kiln dried at 8% mc £200-£300
emoji106.png

Are these prices for the board size AJStrees quoted (approx 4ft³) or per ft³? 

Green £100 wholesale = £2 a board foot.
Air dried at 20% mc £175 = £3.75 a board foot. 
Kiln dried at 8% mc £200-£300 = £4-£6 a board foot

[emoji848]
A board foot is 12”x12”x1”
Britain is an island.
[emoji6][emoji106]
  • Like 1

Fair enough. [emoji3] 

Scottish. [emoji6] [emoji14] 

I'll start looking at better pricing as I start to establish myself a little better. Up till now its just been a beer tokens and still making a of of cash off of it considering Im paid from my employer each day anyway. 

My mates an Oak Framer and gets his oak through Jewsons of all people. Jewsons have the contacts and its generally French Oak. He's not paying remotely £6.50 a linear foot, at least he was not pre-covid and Brexit. As you say times have changed.

That Geert guy you mentioned to me a while ago has another 20-40t of Elm in. Supposedly sold a load to Wales at £200 a ton. I know for a fact he's buying it in at £80-100. Asking if I want a some at that price, never said much after I told him I know the same folk you're buying it off of at £80 a ton. [emoji3] I really need to get 10t in soon. 

Go halves on a load?
[emoji106]
  • Like 1