Today's milling

Rough Hewn

6 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Milled an Elm Butt just before I headed for Norway. Came down in the wind. Was in the process of being cut up for firewood but saved 2.8m of it. 

E4512FCE-92F2-4FDF-9243-A8B8D46AF47B.jpeg

32B17B2F-F141-4270-AB69-56FF49F53A68.jpeg

3D254C42-81F5-4ADF-AC88-F4602AC31337.jpeg

Makes me chuckle every time I see your jeep in the pics. It's certainly being used and nothing like the fleets of pampered 4x4s up here in aberdeeen lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Erik said:

I frequently do big removal jobs straight across for the logs. When I tell the homeowner that its not going to cost them a dime they look at me like I am insane, until I explain to them the value of the logs once they are turned into lumber or slabs.  The tree in the pictures was one such job. Did 3 trees for the logs and walked with 16000-18000 board feet of extremely high quality redwood. I'm good with that!

Superb! That's the way to do it. With some domestic elm trees I used to dismantle, we'd pay the customer for the tree despite me having to pay for the climbers to dismantle it, and the crane lorry too.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Erik said:

Just teasing you a bit.  Both the coastal’s and the Sequoia’s are true wonders of the world that everyone should try and see at least once in their life.   The Sequoias are not nearly as numerous and grow in a very limited area. The fact that their wood is extremely brittle,  and hard to work with was probably what saved them from extinction.  The coastal on the other hand offers some of the nicest softwood on the planet, and they grow like a weed in their natural environment. We did our best to run them into exstiction, but luckily cooler heads prevailed.  

in fairness here the coastal redwood is Sequoia sempervirens...

it's some cracking timber you have there.

how old do you think the tree was?

Salvaged some elm that's been down for a few years
Screenshot_20190315-215323_Gallery.thumb.jpg.16d701a3b3172efc001039a79df94d6a.jpg
Screenshot_20190315-215338_Gallery.thumb.jpg.99d29b08f5b6f73f68786b157752913b.jpg
Screenshot_20190315-215330_Gallery.thumb.jpg.517a0c6265b93a3f913c4df64b0d98e5.jpg
Screenshot_20190127-142925_Gallery.thumb.jpg.c7df1e029d2918b876d710017ed430d6.jpg
I see some ripples in the wood.. I've found it can occur if your chain is at 30° rather than set for milling at 10°
You will lose a lot of the thickness of the board planing them out! It's well worth spending a little time setting up the mill and getting a very good edge on the chain, it may save you from losing out on good timber. I've done it myself and had the piles of planings to prove it.