Today's milling

Rough Hewn

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

Well thats very timely for me as the Estate is selling their Avant so Im loaderless now. :( 

I was out looking at a wee Bobcat Skidsteer a 400 series but they wanted £6k for it. I thought it was well over priced but also too wee/narrow to handle long logs, ie 6m. Im now looking for a Telihandler in the £10k range as without a loader Im kinda gubbed. I dont have a huge turnover but Im getting over £4000 of orders to fulfil each time Im home now. With minimal outlays it seems worthwhile investing in a loader. 

You will own it 2 years later sell for the same money if a good machine andy 

9 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

You will own it 2 years later sell for the same money if a good machine andy 

Thats a fair point Les. I'll have to do the sums and see what I can do. Most likely something will have to go but maybe I can hold off and put some pennies aside to get something in place. 

• Like 1

This was a quick and dirty way to load the mill without the Avant. Two lads from the paying Estate doing all the donkey work. Was done in 2 hours. Easiest full days milling to date. [emoji3] 
IMG_1373.thumb.jpg.b9948c471cc65e189cb7ae3dad2345b6.jpgIMG_1373.thumb.jpg.2f4379c0a9053750ef0270b1865381be.jpg
IMG_1372.thumb.jpg.893abb2ccc965de77c4bb17c183e36df.jpg

Great shots and lovely blue sky. [emoji106]
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Well thats very timely for me as the Estate is selling their Avant so Im loaderless now. :( 

I was out looking at a wee Bobcat Skidsteer a 400 series but they wanted £6k for it. I thought it was well over priced but also too wee/narrow to handle long logs, ie 6m. Im now looking for a Telihandler in the £10k range as without a loader Im kinda gubbed. I dont have a huge turnover but Im getting over £4000 of orders to fulfil each time Im home now. With minimal outlays it seems worthwhile investing in a loader. 

Be carefull with tele handlers.  Anything around 10K is usually needing the same again spent on them.  I'm full time on the mill now and there's not one bit of machinery that does it all.  I'd like a tractor with timber trailer and crane but alone it's not worth as much to me as what the skid steer with grapple and forks can do........also it can be towed behind the jeep to take to offsite milling jobs.  The one I've bought lifts big 6m Douglas weighing in at just over 1.2 ton..........anything bigger will need to sit and wait until a friendly timber lorry is passing ;)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bilke_user said:

Be carefull with tele handlers.  Anything around 10K is usually needing the same again spent on them.  I'm full time on the mill now and there's not one bit of machinery that does it all.  I'd like a tractor with timber trailer and crane but alone it's not worth as much to me as what the skid steer with grapple and forks can do........also it can be towed behind the jeep to take to offsite milling jobs.  The one I've bought lifts big 6m Douglas weighing in at just over 1.2 ton..........anything bigger will need to sit and wait until a friendly timber lorry is passing ;)

Realistically I need to lift 1.2-1.5t when Im working with Hardwood. If I bought my own Loader the Estate would be happy to provide all the extra ohmph above and beyond.  If fact the owner handed me the keys to his new Articulated Tractor over the weekend. I refused as Im not competent in such a machine, he'll give me lessons though. :D 

I'll see if I can find a pic

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Realistically I need to lift 1.2-1.5t when Im working with Hardwood. If I bought my own Loader the Estate would be happy to provide all the extra ohmph above and beyond.  If fact the owner handed me the keys to his new Articulated Tractor over the weekend. I refused as Im not competent in such a machine, he'll give me lessons though. :D 

I'll see if I can find a pic

Tele handler for that sort of weight then trig.