Today's milling

Rough Hewn

Just now, AndyO said:

Managed to sneak in some time on the mill and get a lovely Elm slabbed up. Some of the colours and character were stunning, just gutted it wasnt my stick...

Side note - anyone know why the 881's air filter gets clogged up so quickly and easily?

Elm 1.jpeg

Elm 2.jpeg

Elm 3.jpeg

Elm 4.jpeg

Elm 5.jpeg

Elm 6.jpeg

Stunning that is fair play 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AJStrees said:

That’s some crazy banging colours mate.

I like the way you have set your ladder to not waste any of the log. But I guess with a special stick you don’t want to waste any.

·        Cheers buddy. We were trying to make every cut count and waste as little as possible. Some head scratching and a bucket of offcuts as a counterweight was as good as we could do for the first cut but it worked pretty well and definitely better than if I had free handed it...

Managed to sneak in some time on the mill and get a lovely Elm slabbed up. Some of the colours and character were stunning, just gutted it wasnt my stick...

Side note - anyone know why the 881's air filter gets clogged up so quickly and easily?
1504549665_Elm1.thumb.jpeg.c06d511f37e8714c40dc5fbb82e7ba36.jpeg
111079742_Elm2.thumb.jpeg.f095fc6207098165f6a27f0d6f50b443.jpeg
692264082_Elm3.thumb.jpeg.56d5b90f3d4efbc34fcbe38ff706dc74.jpeg
1576325088_Elm4.thumb.jpeg.f09454a772aa09104937d4c19b771fb8.jpeg
1197335429_Elm5.thumb.jpeg.a63c1d5174d4d2700a93b7ae34ace12a.jpeg
833288848_Elm6.thumb.jpeg.058a59c1b345f0ebf04f82935795853e.jpeg

It’s the same air filter as most pro Stihl saws, the hd2 filter.
It gets blocked quickly because you’re milling produces finer chips, and the engine uses more air flow than any other saw.
I clean my air filter every cut on big slabs.
[emoji106]
Bloody nice bit of elm [emoji108][emoji108][emoji108]
  • Like 2

Just put your hand in your pocket and invest in MaxFlow filters if you run bigger Stihls. They are not only an improvement in filtration, but an increase in performance too. Don’t forget to retune your saw after fitting.

if you fit an aftermarket dual port muffler too, the gains are noticeable 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

It’s the same air filter as most pro Stihl saws, the hd2 filter.
It gets blocked quickly because you’re milling produces finer chips, and the engine uses more air flow than any other saw.
I clean my air filter every cut on big slabs.
emoji106.png
Bloody nice bit of elm emoji108.pngemoji108.pngemoji108.png

Thanks for the info... Glad I'm not missing an obvious hack!

We pretty much ended up cleaning it every cut or two and found one of the little cordless Dewalt blowers to be so handy when milling for filters and cleaning saws before refuelling as well as cleaning the slabs and us at the end of the day!

• Like 1

·        Cheers buddy. We were trying to make every cut count and waste as little as possible. Some head scratching and a bucket of offcuts as a counterweight was as good as we could do for the first cut but it worked pretty well and definitely better than if I had free handed it...

I’m surprised there is still elm like that around it must be few and far between surely.

Great work though. Certainly envious not having a panther mill myself.

Must make changing the heights a lot easier and less faff.

I’m surprised there is still elm like that around it must be few and far between surely.

Great work though. Certainly envious not having a panther mill myself.

Must make changing the heights a lot easier and less faff.

I was surprised too when I first got the call.

The mill is a good tool and I’m glad it’s as easy as it is to change heights especially with two power heads. The winch is awesome! The 881 in gnarly timber seems good at breaking the skids though:

a825f6d14d6e224bb0ec29e6075fbf10.jpg
  • Like 3