Today's milling

Rough Hewn

Just now, Dilz said:

yeah...I thought I'd have a go at  milling to ease my self out of climbing as I get older... it's not to worst idea...well clearly it is the worst idea if I'm going to be using an Alaskan mill.... think I'll start saving for a skylift instead 😜

Get a Bandsaw. Still graft but a lot less than an Alaskan. £400+ a day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dilz said:

tis the dream...need a decent loader for shifting the logs and boards about though I reckon. 

I built a log deck with ramps behind it

Load the log deck with over 5t of logs, then stack them behind with the loader

Quick rill up onto the log-deck when the loaders gone

The loader cen keep me going for quite a while

• Like 1

today's job...felled these oaks a few months back...  client told me not to waste time stacking / stickering and clearing up....so i didn't. Ended up using the small log mill with 20" lo pro on the 661 for most of it.  nice light and rapid. 

IMG_20210723_083220_8.jpg

IMG_20210723_123457_8.jpg

IMG_20210723_152443_4.jpg

IMG_20210723_120357_0.jpg

Edited by Dilz
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Dilz said:

today's job...felled these oaks a few months back...  client told me not to waste time stacking / stickering and clearing up....so i didn't. Ended up using the small log mill with 20" lo pro on the 661 for most of it.  nice light and rapid. 

IMG_20210723_083220_8.jpg

IMG_20210723_123457_8.jpg

IMG_20210723_152443_4.jpg

IMG_20210723_120357_0.jpg

Looks like you got some nice boards out of it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Moose McAlpine said:

Looks like you got some nice boards out of it.

Yeah they were nice straight trees in good lengths.

When we felled the trees I was all set for having them transported to my place until the client came out and said he wanted to keep them and have them planked but he didn't know anyone who could do it..so we had a chat ..was a bit gutted I wouldn't get to keep the lot myself 

1 hour ago, TuscanPhil said:

Looks Good!!  Are they 3" boards?  I have some oaks felled a few weeks ago that I might plank up, might see if anyone on here wants them, or might just (sadly) turn them into firewood, of which I can make comfortable use!

2" thick this lot. Any thicker at this length and I'd struggle (more) to shift them by hand myself.  No idea the value of these green but seen other folk sell similar fresh cut stuff for around 700-1000kr per board to hobby joiners ...so 50-80 quid. Seems about right. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dilz said:

2" thick this lot. Any thicker at this length and I'd struggle (more) to shift them by hand myself.  No idea the value of these green but seen other folk sell similar fresh cut stuff for around 700-1000kr per board to hobby joiners ...so 50-80 quid. Seems about right. 

Seems about right for quite narrow boards

Which Scandinavian country do you live in?

44 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Seems about right for quite narrow boards

Which Scandinavian country do you live in?

Sweden. Been out here since 2009...it's alright...village really needs a proper you can bring your dog type pub though

• Like 1