Today's milling

Rough Hewn

Notice how anything on ebay with a Union Jack in the picture is always made in China?  Laughable really, but some people will get taken in by that.

Apparently the Chinese can make good stuff, but they know we Brits only want cheap, so cheap is what they send us.  It's our own fault.  Our fault too that labour costs here are so high, other countries will easily undercut us.  We've gone soft, with our foreign holidays, new cars, smart houses, all the latest stuff.  Got to admire the Chinese and others, who are happy to work twice as hard for half as much.  It's not slave labour, it's just a competitive spirit - they want to get on, we want an easy life.  :bash:

Edited by dudders
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, dudders said:

Notice how anything on ebay with a Union Jack in the picture is always made in China?  Laughable really, but some people will get taken in by that.

Apparently the Chinese can make good stuff, but they know we Brits only want cheap, so cheap is what they send us.  It's our own fault.  Our fault too that labour costs here are so high, other countries will easily undercut us.  We've gone soft, with our foreign holidays, new cars, smart houses, all the latest stuff.  Got to admire the Chinese and others, who are happy to work twice as hard for half as much.  It's not slave labour, it's just a competitive spirit - they want to get on, we want an easy life.  :bash:

You're not wrong there, it's worth remembering that the Chinese were an advanced culture with their metal working, architecture, medicine etc a couple of thousand years ago when we were running around naked covered in blue paint:001_rolleyes:

The idea that civilisations are cyclical and go back much much further than we are led to believe is something that's being recognised and increasingly accepted by a small but growing school of thinking who are able to accept a bigger picture than that which we've traditionally been taught....oops, wrong thread...

Anyway, just bought a 1/2" AF King Dick spanner, made in Birmingham since 1856 to go with the ' made in China ' bolt on magnetic plate recently acquired for my Alaskan from the good old US of A.... how totally global am I without even leaving my chair ? 😁

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

The idea that civilisations are cyclical and go back much much further than we are led to believe is something that's being recognised and increasingly accepted by a small but growing school of thinking who are able to accept a bigger picture than that which we've traditionally been taught....oops, wrong thread...

Did you watch an episode of Ancient Aliens after? 

• Haha 1

Watch out for scams asking you to go to a website etc.
Been waiting for a hat from Sweden.
Got a text message from Royal Mail...
Asked my postie.
They don’t text.
Royal Mail will issue a grey card if you have tax to pay.
Watch out!

And thank you Logosol!
IMG_1616687079.880363.jpg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Watch out for scams asking you to go to a website etc.
Been waiting for a hat from Sweden.
Got a text message from Royal Mail...
Asked my postie.
They don’t text.
Royal Mail will issue a grey card if you have tax to pay.
Watch out!

And thank you Logosol!
IMG_1616687079.880363.jpg

Ask them for a trial of this and forget about the hat 😁

ES8 Electric Saw, 8 kW

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not 'Todays Milling'  but could be tomorrows - I've been offered some Elm.

It's not that large but I am undecided if is worth the effort of extraction and milling. Maybe all into 3" planks and sit on them for a few years.

1st image is 2 sticks 3m x 18" diameter.

2nd image stick is 3.5m x 2ft diameter.

3rd image shows what the timber is like.

What do you think ?

IMG_0849.thumb.JPG.81937a34a9d8d1455b0bcb4b9ddd71c4.JPGIMG_0856.thumb.JPG.f91c1fca41bbf7b6a13d882d4ccc888b.JPG

IMG_0839.thumb.JPG.3fb3609bfe99221b354848ac295d4be0.JPG

Edited by arboriculturist
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

It's not that large but I am undecided if is worth the effort of extraction and milling. Maybe all into 3" planks and sit on them for a few years.

What do you think ?

IMG_0849.thumb.JPG.81937a34a9d8d1455b0bcb4b9ddd71c4.JPGIMG_0856.thumb.JPG.f91c1fca41bbf7b6a13d882d4ccc888b.JPG

Depending on how difficult the extraction is id go for it, those logs  may well produce some lovely boards, plenty of colour still in it. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 3

What do you think ?

Mill it!
How could you doubt elm!
🤣[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, arboriculturist said:

Yes - but it's so small 😕

No - of course, what you say is true - 3" slabs straightforward and worth £ ? per board ft in not too long a time - maybe £ 15-20. 😏

Decent market for smaller stuff I find, not everyone wants or needs monster size and expense slabs. 

• Like 1