Today's milling

Rough Hewn

Some of the lads knock a cheap saw but for someone who does not have the budget to buy a high end stihl or husky they are a good second option.I have a good saw but would not think twice about getting another farnertec as a backup.

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, AJStrees said:

Nice set up. I’m up to 48” single powerhead with eco mill.

So far, so good. Endless fun, milling. With full time estate to manage I don’t get a lot of time to do it, but I have an endless timber resource. Can’t complain really.

Restoring a very dilapidated barn at the mo. No funds to do it, but getting a roof back on so I can get the milled boards in there for drying.

Is that a 3/8 or 404 bar on that 

• Like 1

With all these Chinese Saw owners coming outta woodwork Roughy is gonna be throwing a fit. [emoji3] 

[emoji848]
You’ve got to start somewhere.
But if you’re milling 30” boards you’re at the limit of that machine.
Just be aware the safety functions may not work as intended...
(Farmertec are actually made in a cheese factory in wushu province.)
(Ok I made that last sentence up).

Sell a load of boards and buy a proper saw.
Even a £100-200 old stihl 051/070/076 etc will be great for milling and much safer.

If anyone with a farmertec wants to try milling with an 881, and see the difference.
Get in touch, we could do a short video?
[emoji106]
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

If anyone with a farmertec wants to try milling with an 881, and see the difference.
Get in touch, we could do a short video?
emoji106.png

And you said there would be no one on here with a Farmtec saw. ;) I know for a fact there’s more than letting on here. 😃

Putting your 881 up against anything other than a 881 copy would be utterly pointless. You’d be better off putting a stock OEM Saw up against a Farmtec saw and comparing the difference. But I think you know that and intentionally did not offer such a comparison as you’d most likely not see much. 

• Like 1

Some of the lads knock a cheap saw but for someone who does not have the budget to buy a high end stihl or husky they are a good second option.I have a good saw but wold not think twice about getting another farnertec as a backup.

Yes true. I’ve looked about for big old saws too but not come across anything really at a reasonable price.

I think if you can respect your tools, keep them in good health, they will last.
  • Like 1

And you said there would be no one on here with a Farmtec saw. [emoji6] I know for a fact there’s more than letting on here. [emoji2]

Putting your 881 up against anything other than a 881 copy would be utterly pointless. You’d be better off putting a stock OEM Saw up against a Farmtec saw and comparing the difference. But I think you know that and intentionally did not offer such a comparison as you’d most likely not see much. 

🤣🤣🤣
Should have said 661?
Literally the only things which annoy me about farmertec is :
A: it’s a badly made copy.
B: the safety features are dodgy at best.
Otherwise like I said it’s a start.
[emoji106]
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

🤣🤣🤣
Should have said 661?
Literally the only things which annoy me about farmertec is :
A: it’s a badly made copy.
B: the safety features are dodgy at best.
Otherwise like I said it’s a start.
emoji106.png

There’s loads of videos of Farmtec 660’s running up against stihl 660’s. Again, it would be pointless running a Farmtec 661 against a Farmtec 660 for the obvious reason. 

Out of the thousands of Farmtec users not many complain they are a badly made copy. They all seem very happy with them and have years of use out of them if treated with respect. 

Not sure how much safety features come into play when milling. What safety features does an 070 have that will come into play when Milling? Yet you’re telling folk they should buy one of them instead. No chain brake and no anti-vibe. 

• Like 1

There’s loads of videos of Farmtec 660’s running up against stihl 660’s. Again, it would be pointless running a Farmtec 661 against a Farmtec 660 for the obvious reason. 

Out of the thousands of Farmtec users not many complain they are a badly made copy. They all seem very happy with them and have years of use out of them if treated with respect. 

Not sure how much safety features come into play when milling. What safety features does an 070 have that will come into play when Milling? Yet you’re telling folk they should buy one of them instead. No chain brake and no anti-vibe. 

Have you got one Andy?
[emoji6]
  • Like 1