Today's milling

Rough Hewn

AJ What saw are you running and how do you find it? Thanks

It’s one I got from Rob D.

Not Stihl or Husky. Was using a 365, just no good for anything more than 36” lo pro. So went with a cheaper option until I can afford a proper monster. Though it’s 92cc and has done well so far. Can’t fault it for milling. Surprisingly good to be fair. Touch wood.

When the time is right and the notes are available then I suppose it’s going to have to be the 881, but need to sell some more boards for that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AJStrees said:

Not Stihl or Husky. Was using a 365, just no good for anything more than 36” lo pro. So went with a cheaper option until I can afford a proper monster. Though it’s 92cc and has done well so far. Can’t fault it for milling. Surprisingly good to be fair. Touch wood.

When the time is right and the notes are available then I suppose it’s going to have to be the 881, but need to sell some more boards for that.

So your using a stihl 661 unit ? 

• Like 1

I thought that’s what it was!
I just got a pair on Friday so keen to see how they go. Planning on giving them a gentle run in for the first few tanks and hopefully have a reasonable service life out of them...fingers crossed!
  • Like 1

I thought that’s what it was!

I just got a pair on Friday so keen to see how they go. Planning on giving them a gentle run in for the first few tanks and hopefully have a reasonable service life out of them...fingers crossed!

Yeah I ran them in for the first 10 tanks. Doesn’t take long with milling.

What set up are you using with the saws?

Yeah I ran them in for the first 10 tanks. Doesn’t take long with milling.

What set up are you using with the saws?

Its still sitting in the box but is a double ended panther mill with 58” capacity. Will get some pictures once it’s up and running[emoji106] Did you do anything special to run the saw in?
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AndyO said:

Its still sitting in the box but is a double ended panther mill with 58” capacity. Will get some pictures once it’s up and runningemoji106.png Did you do anything special to run the saw in?

I bought one as a backup saw last year and run it on 25/1 mix for the first few tanks. Bit smoky but ran well enough for what i used.

• Like 1

Its still sitting in the box but is a double ended panther mill with 58” capacity. Will get some pictures once it’s up and running[emoji106] Did you do anything special to run the saw in?

Nice set up. I’m up to 48” single powerhead with eco mill.

So far, so good. Endless fun, milling. With full time estate to manage I don’t get a lot of time to do it, but I have an endless timber resource. Can’t complain really.

Restoring a very dilapidated barn at the mo. No funds to do it, but getting a roof back on so I can get the milled boards in there for drying.

• Like 1