Today's milling

Rough Hewn

41 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

I think a good investment for you when you get your self employed grant ?? will be a hand held metal detector that will pick metal up up to 4" deep in timber !!

On that point what make and type of detector are people using or would recommend?? 
Regards self employed grant 🤷‍♂️good luck with that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

On that point what make and type of detector are people using or would recommend?? 

I’m thinking of running my Whites Lab metal detector over some logs to see if it picks up metal. Maybe a bit unwieldy but worth a shot? 

I think Garrett make good “wands” that would be better suited. 

I use this:

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

<p>Genuine Garrett Security Super Scanner Metal Detecter, Unlike The Garrett Fakes Circulating.Condition is "Used"...

Seems a good price, as they're generally about £140 new.

It'll pick up a 4" nail below 1 1/2" of oak, if taken slowly and right on the surface.  Obviously bigger bits will be spotted deeper, but smaller bits may be missed at that depth.  Haven't looked around for anything more powerful, but it's bound to be out there - at a price.

You can get cheaper versions of this, around £25, but they're Chinese knock-offs, so take your pick.

Edited by dudders
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnsond said:

I have one that some one gave me that is a wand type one, it was bought for one job when i milled some 40mm slabs of oak for a customer, he bought it, we used it on this job and he just put it passenger seat in my pick up, it came off Ebay and was about £25 but will only pick metal up in timber to approx 50mm 

Edited by spuddog0507
spelling

1 hour ago, dudders said:

I use this:

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

<p>Genuine Garrett Security Super Scanner Metal Detecter, Unlike The Garrett Fakes Circulating.Condition is "Used"...

Seems a good price, as they're generally about £140 new.

It'll pick up a 4" nail below 1 1/2" of oak, if taken slowly and right on the surface.  Obviously bigger bits will be spotted deeper, but smaller bits may be missed at that depth.  Haven't looked around for anything more powerful, but it's bound to be out there - at a price.

You can get cheaper versions of this, around £25, but they're Chinese knock-offs, so take your pick.

I’ll go genuine I think 

had enough of what comes out of China over the last 12 months 

• Like 3

I use one of these,

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

<p>C Scope CS4Pi Metal Detector with HiQ Coil. Great condition, amazing detector on the beach.</p>

When I researched the subject it came up that a pulse induction detector generally designed for use in wet sand or under water was probably best for wood especially wet wood....through trial and error I recon it can detect metal at up to a foot in a standing live soggy Spruce for instance which I'd check for fencing wire or other metal before dropping, the last tree I took down for instance had wire in it up to about 4' 6" which I managed to avoid [ bloody high stump / bird table ] and I'll almost certainly find metal at the depth of cut taken when milling boards.

They come up on ebay s/h from time to time, there's 2 on just now.

I recon I'd have found your missing tools Mr Hewn 😁

• Thanks 1

That piece was at least 8” deep.
Even if I’d have detected it, I would’ve still milled the log.
Small nails and wire aren’t a problem.
Bars and pulleys are.
🤣[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
I also have a cscope cs4pi.
Detect it before you start. After a bit of practice you can start to suss out depths a little bit.. Detect after each slab. Then you can just chop out the metal with a saw with a smallish bar. Saves a lot of money on Milling chains.
Its the stones and concrete that are the problem.
  • Like 2