Today's milling

Rough Hewn

So basically if you are serious about milling slabs it sounds like you you need a setup like in Jewson's timber yard to maximise floor space and optimise storage area.

Basically RSJ stantion racking similar to this, but far heavier steel, that can be accessed with the forklift, holds a lot of stickered products and is very accessible.

10 levels each side, I would think when full that would hold a serious stock of highly valuable slabs!

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by arboriculturist

2 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

So basically if you are serious about milling slabs it sounds like you you need a setup like in Jewson's timber yard to maximise floor space and optimise storage area.

Basically RSJ stantion racking similar to this, but far heavier steel, that can be accessed with the forklift, holds a lot of stickered products and is very accessible.

10 levels each side, I would think when full that would hold a serious stock of highly valuable slabs!

s-l1600.jpg

Roughy man handles all his stuff 

55 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

s-l1600.jpg

Arboriculturist ...are you in Devon ? if so perhaps go to Yandles in Somerset and look at their wood store and prices to see what sells and for how much ...a very wide range available and very few BIG slabs , not sure many want or need them . I know plenty of contractors around my way that over the years have had some lovely bits of timber that they covet and are sure will fetch a handsome price , and I see it a few years later all cracked / rotten and cut up for firewood !!   ( bit like the classic "highly valuable" walnut sketch ) 

Last piece of yew on the logosol F2+ with the stihl ms881.
IMG_1611337939.616563.thumb.jpg.a86194d9212d7c208949abbcbaf47175.jpgIMG_1611337969.025190.thumb.jpg.8323924ac9dda2da3a4be689e9a65b26.jpgIMG_1611337995.093012.thumb.jpg.08921431f5ad415b35abd8d12f798f09.jpg
[emoji106]

Nice work Saul.
I know you’ve mentioned the F2+ and building a wooden bench to take larger logs. The F2+ is quoted as taking 1200kg. Have you found this to be too much? I understand the initial loading of a large log on to the wooden frame but once a large log is on are you saying it will then be able to lift it up as normal? I know it says it will cut up to 70cm but I guess for example an oak log that wide and 2.8m long would exceed that. I saw the ladder idea for shorter logs you put in a video, like that [emoji1303]
Just curious really I am still waiting on my order but hopefully by end of January.
Are you getting the ES8 on test I can’t remember? Cheers. Stuart.
  • Like 2