Today's milling

Rough Hewn

On 30/05/2020 at 09:05, trigger_andy said:

I'l assume it kills your Bandsaw Blade. Bit of a difference I think. 

Understatement that.

I hit a 6" oval when milling Walnut with the bandsaw and it stripped the teeth.

Didn't help having changed the blade and turned the log over I hit 4 more nails the same size from the otherside!

6 Nails, to blades f**ked

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forest2Furniture said:

Understatement that.

I hit a 6" oval when milling Walnut with the bandsaw and it stripped the teeth.

Didn't help having changed the blade and turned the log over I hit 4 more nails the same size from the otherside!

6 Nails, to blades f**ked

That was my thinking. Hit a Nail with a Band and you've instantly lost a £30-£35 Blade. Hit a Nail with a Chain and you just have to resharpen it, maybe take 1-2mm off. 

I'm not proud to admit it but Ive hit the log rests twice now with my Logosol Mill. Both times just kissed it and the bands where savable. I was watching the Norwood vids with some nice old guy in the US doing training vids and he said to keep watching and checking the log rests so as not to cut into them. Then promptly cut into the log rests. :D 

Edited by trigger_andy
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Erik said:

That just what we did...We milled lumber to this point, then as we got near the pith we milled two 4" slabs, which came out very nice.. Finished up the log with more lumber....

You mean you put the chainsaw slabber on the mill?  If not how did you get two 4" slabs?  I do a similar thing with my Lucas mill, but only get one wide slab from the middle.

This log was a 12 footer that was just over 48" in diameter...Instead of putting the slabber attachment on the 10/30 we set up the Alaskan and knocked out two slabs, then went back to milling lumber with the Lucas....Redwood will many times have a long vertical crack right near the pith which goes from one end of the log to the other.  When we are milling lumber and we get into log that does not have this crack near the pith we will sometimes pull out the Alaskan and do this..Works well and saves the trouble of switching over to the Lucas slabber attachment...

Edited by Erik
  • Like 2

The tree in question. Bucking and skidding. Another log from this tree that we got a couple very nice slabs out of, and the quality of the lumber this tree produced. When I fell the tree I was hoping for better, but after working around quite a bit of heart-rot she produced a lot of beautiful lumber and slabs.

tom still.jpg

IMG_2020.JPG

IMG_2042.JPG

IMG_2092.JPG

IMG_2134.JPG

IMG_2133.JPG

IMG_2093.JPG

Edited by Erik
  • Like 14