Today's milling

Rough Hewn

2 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

I hope he's s good mate.
emoji106.png

Yeh he is. But also worth keeping sweet. He'll deliver me his Teli-Handler for the Weekend, Friday night till Monday morning for £60. I pay £60 a month to rent for the workshop space that I've just put a Ramp in and hopefully will be buying some land off of him in the future.

But regardless of that I think 3 x 1000mm wide Slabs 50mm thick and 3-4m long for a days work is ok. Considering what they can sell for when dried. I cherry pick to, so make sure I get the 1/4 sawn middle boards too. ;) Or at least half of them. 

95160007_593433831261626_8632303091460341760_n.jpg

90071154_515308919387076_4406030335616221184_n.jpg

Yeh he is. But also worth keeping sweet. He'll deliver me his Teli-Handler for the Weekend, Friday night till Monday morning for £60. I pay £60 a month to rent for the workshop space that I've just put a Ramp in and hopefully will be buying some land off of him in the future.

But regardless of that I think 3 x 1000mm wide Slabs 50mm thick and 3-4m long for a days work is ok. Considering what they can sell for when dried. I cherry pick to, so make sure I get the 1/4 sawn middle boards too. [emoji6] Or at least half of them. 
95160007_593433831261626_8632303091460341760_n.thumb.jpg.efaa894888fa649cfcb18bbe019fdf25.jpg
90071154_515308919387076_4406030335616221184_n.thumb.jpg.6df93e2f84b9929e37a7fbcbadecdc46.jpg

Yep, that's a good mate[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

13 hours ago, topchippyles said:

Nice and well worth it (cash) i hope so your on top money 

Sleepers 200 x 100 (8x4) 2.4mtr (8ft) £18.50  plus vat 

That's delivered, I'm not running a charity.

First time I've done Larch, won't be having it again to much work for little return.

One bloke and a pile of logs, I'd been better off cutting it into firewood then milled timber

but nothing ventured nothing gained, at least I've covered the cost of buying it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Forest2Furniture said:

That's delivered, I'm not running a charity.

First time I've done Larch, won't be having it again to much work for little return.

One bloke and a pile of logs, I'd been better off cutting it into firewood then milled timber

but nothing ventured nothing gained, at least I've covered the cost of buying it.

Did you really just cover your costs milling Sleepers? :( Yeh, Firewood really does seem the way to go. Process into dumpy bags and flog for £60-100. :D Im planning on buying a processor as soon as I have the cash.

4 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Did you really just cover your costs milling Sleepers? :( Yeh, Firewood really does seem the way to go. Process into dumpy bags and flog for £60-100. :D Im planning on buying a processor as soon as I have the cash.

Yep, just maybe.

It's been a big learning curve, we all go through them from time to time.

It's a list of problems from start to finish, they've been down a year, the area they were lifted to was too wet to get on from September last year, then I injured my ankle and now we have this virus doing the rounds and no one to lend a hand and the only one that offered wants more timber as payment then his time was worth.

As I don't do and don't want to get into the firewood market, I've contacted a mate to take what's left off my hands, I'll probably lose on the deal but I've got stacks of nice hardwood waiting to be milled, I'll stick to what I know in future.

17 minutes ago, Forest2Furniture said:

Yep, just maybe.

It's been a big learning curve, we all go through them from time to time.

It's a list of problems from start to finish, they've been down a year, the area they were lifted to was too wet to get on from September last year, then I injured my ankle and now we have this virus doing the rounds and no one to lend a hand and the only one that offered wants more timber as payment then his time was worth.

As I don't do and don't want to get into the firewood market, I've contacted a mate to take what's left off my hands, I'll probably lose on the deal but I've got stacks of nice hardwood waiting to be milled, I'll stick to what I know in future.

What a nightmare. :( Getting a hand for a reasonable rate is an issue for sure. I can get a lad for £100 a day. But Im too tight for that. :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stihl123 said:

this is probably a real dumb question, but what's best way to get an idea of what slabs are worth? is it just through experience or is there somewhere that you can use to give you a guild? as i have no idea!! :lol:

thanks

There is a stack of threads or at least posts in this section covering this very issue. The question was raised again just a post or two ago. Might be worth a search through the threads to get an answer on a subject thats been heavily covered within the last 12 months? Not having a pop, its one Ive asked too. :) If theres any fresh updates here I'll also be reading them with interest. 

• Like 2

Here’s a yew log we felled last week about 5.8 feet long and 25 inch across at its biggest point  . What would be the best thing to do with it ? Alaskan or get it to someone with a bigger mill ? 
9AD96751-7DF2-41C8-BFBC-CFACFF0C30B5.thumb.jpeg.23a8c2f677b226efb5c51c9617bed11a.jpeg
28F1150F-D73B-4DF5-924A-74D5181ACCE7.thumb.jpeg.83cbd317c183bfacc57de363f5936a61.jpeg

Any bandsaw will do that size log.
[emoji106]