Today's milling

Rough Hewn

I was reading through this thread and while looking at your broken mill I thought it is a bit odd that you have had 3 break and I haven’t seen anyone else say they had a broken mill. So I looked a bit closer at your mill pics 

This is Just an observation, Could it be your over tightening some of your nuts and bolts ?.

Some nuts and bolts looks to be done up unevenly. Which I think would put more stresses on your mill. Maybe it slipped/moved, then broke ?

i marked up your pics so you can see what I’m pointing to

Wedge Banger. ??

10B4F180-8808-40F5-AC60-61C5F5A51C57.jpeg

04E97932-AFEE-4177-A242-E1D7C0F91E48.jpeg

Edited by Wedgebanger

I was reading through this thread and while looking at your broken mill I thought it is a bit odd that you have had 3 break and I haven’t seen anyone else say they had a broken mill. So I looked a bit closer at your mill pics 

This is Just an observation, Could it be your over tightening some of your nuts and bolts ?.
Some nuts and bolts looks to be done up unevenly. Which I think would put more stresses on your mill. Maybe it slipped/moved, then broke ?

i marked up your pics so you can see what I’m pointing to

Wedge Banger. [emoji893][emoji375]

10B4F180-8808-40F5-AC60-61C5F5A51C57.jpeg.d8cb5af8a97eec0be2b94a2f0663bc1e.jpeg
04E97932-AFEE-4177-A242-E1D7C0F91E48.jpeg.23ffc0ebb59b841d4c7caeab7d29cbd0.jpeg

It's the soft aluminium against steel.
It wears and grinds away, constant vibration doesn't help.
It's totally knackered as the bolts that attach to the long bars have worn away the contact points.
3 out of 4 cast cross bars have all cracked in the same place.
Material limitations.
The design could be massively improved too.

But to be fair that mill has seen a hell a lot of use over the last few years.
[emoji106]

I cant remember what it is in ft/lbs but mine had a sticker on saying what torque the bolts should be done up to. Its surprisingly low.

Rough, I'm sure you mill has had a fair battering, I've broken quite a few if the wee bits that sit between the u bolt and the box section. On your replacement I would definitely suggest tightening them more evenly if you dont already do this, be interesting to see if this makes them last a bit longer.

You should probably take up tig welding also

• Like 1

Sorry for slight thread derail, I have searched on here but getting mixed messages. I have bought a sawmill powered by a chainsaw, and will be running either my 395xp or 3120xp as the powerhead, only a 36" cut at the moment. The guy I bought it from ran an 880, he said always on 25/1 mix or it will lean seize. I have never run my saws on that strong a mix, @spudulike would you or anyone else be able to give me a more definitive answer?

Thanks.

Alf

Sorry for slight thread derail, I have searched on here but getting mixed messages. I have bought a sawmill powered by a chainsaw, and will be running either my 395xp or 3120xp as the powerhead, only a 36" cut at the moment. The guy I bought it from ran an 880, he said always on 25/1 mix or it will lean seize. I have never run my saws on that strong a mix, [mention=30144]spudulike[/mention] would you or anyone else be able to give me a more definitive answer?

Thanks.

Alf
I've always used 50:1 of good quality stroke oil (Jaso fd) never had a milling saw seize. They are perhaps tuned slightly rich I.e not right up to absolute max rpm out of the cut. A pal with a 3120 runs 40:1 in his. Also not had any bother.

You will probably get a whole range of answers, I would er slightly on the side of caution as whatever saw your going to use will be run flat out for a extended period of time. But if your saws are issue free, tuned properly and you use a good 2 stroke oil you'll be reet
  • Like 2

Sorry for slight thread derail, I have searched on here but getting mixed messages. I have bought a sawmill powered by a chainsaw, and will be running either my 395xp or 3120xp as the powerhead, only a 36" cut at the moment. The guy I bought it from ran an 880, he said always on 25/1 mix or it will lean seize. I have never run my saws on that strong a mix, [mention=30144]spudulike[/mention] would you or anyone else be able to give me a more definitive answer?

Thanks.

Alf

Standard 50:1 never had a problem.
Moved over to alkylate pre mixed a while back no problems.
Only ever seen one engine go, and that was a suspected air leak.

I rev the engine after each cut and let it tick over with a bit of revs to cool the engine and oil the chain.
About 30 seconds.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
  • Like 2