Today's milling

Rough Hewn

Not the prettiest of things to start with, and a challenge ahead to keep the boards flat and prevent splitting.

I love a good crown to mill,
2.5" thick should help it stay together.
It may warp and check a little but that's the character.
Really starting to appreciate turkey oak.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Hi,
I have a Makita 9010 90cc saw which I'm going to be using for milling mainly for myself. I currently have a 28 inch bar on it which is plenty for what I have to do, however, do people think it would manage a 36 inch bar on it or would this be pushing it a little. Also, I use a Oregon power pro bar and grandberg chain, but as I need some new chains, do I stick to grandberg or is there a better alternative. I know some on here really rate the stihl ripping chain.
Opinions please
Cheers
H.

I'd say youd be fine with a 36 one 90cc saw as long as you keep it stinging sharp. My mak 7900 came with a 36 and ran it surprisingly well, but you soon know about it when its blunt. It actually also came with a Oregon 42'' 404 bar and chain as well, but haven't tried it on this ( PM me if you want to buy it!).

I'd run the oil through the bar a few times in the cut ( I.e stop pushing and half throttle.) Just to make sure its oiling enough.

The granberg chain is good but probs not worth the extra money. The stihl is nice, I'm pretty happy with Oregon chain, dont usually bother with dedicated ripping chain myself as not found a massive significant improvement in performance.

First time milling today on some English oak. Bit of a slow start setting up but got on well once we got going. Got a second, wider stem to do tomorrow. Certainly enjoying it but have no idea how I'm going to get it out, access is tight and they are heavier than I anticipated IMG_20190328_111306_277.jpeg20190328_114944.jpeg20190328_124952.jpeg20190328_130311.jpeg20190328_135402_015.jpeg

• Like 5