Today's milling

Rough Hewn

16 hours ago, Erik said:

After a long wet winter the sun is finally out, and the Lucas is once again spitting out lumber. Gawd I love spring!

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1395.jpg

IMG_1397.JPG

Those are beautiful pieces of timber ??

Got fed up today watching the Westminster farce and messed about a bit outside to take mind of all that crap. Nothing in comparison to that awesome stuff in pics above but it gave me something to stare at for a while. Mother Nature eh ??

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, Erik said:

Sequoia? Blasphemy! This is coastal Redwood which is on another level when it comes to quality of the wood.

I Iive and work in an undisclosed location deep down in some holler in northern California.

A few pics of the tree which produced this log. Climb em, kill em, skid em, mill em. One stop shopping.

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0045.JPG

DSC_0104.JPG

DSC_0094.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

Haha! Please accept my apologies. I must admit I did think it was coast redwood, but over here we just refer to them all as sequoia generally.

Lovely timber.

19 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

??

??

13 minutes ago, Big J said:

Haha! Please accept my apologies. I must admit I did think it was coast redwood, but over here we just refer to them all as sequoia generally.

Lovely timber.

Just teasing you a bit.  Both the coastal’s and the Sequoia’s are true wonders of the world that everyone should try and see at least once in their life.   The Sequoias are not nearly as numerous and grow in a very limited area. The fact that their wood is extremely brittle,  and hard to work with was probably what saved them from extinction.  The coastal on the other hand offers some of the nicest softwood on the planet, and they grow like a weed in their natural environment. We did our best to run them into exstiction, but luckily cooler heads prevailed.  

Edited by Erik
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Got fed up today watching the Westminster farce and messed about a bit outside to take mind of all that crap. Nothing in comparison to that awesome stuff in pics above but it gave me something to stare at for a while. Mother Nature eh ??

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

Those are some beautiful slabs.  Nature as art. Wabi Sabi.  

3 hours ago, Johnsond said:

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

Ohhhhh lovely! What is it? Elm? 

2 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Yeah Andy 

waste off local tree guy, bit of work to get it hone etc but better than seeing it chipped or burnt ?

It's a nice lump, but a shame about the shitty felling (noting the deep saw cut gouging into one side of the board).

If tree surgeons could reliably recognise a valuable tree and then fell it without damaging it, they'd seriously top up their salaries. 

8 minutes ago, Big J said:

It's a nice lump, but a shame about the shitty felling (noting the deep saw cut gouging into one side of the board).

If tree surgeons could reliably recognise a valuable tree and then fell it without damaging it, they'd seriously top up their salaries. 

No J I'm afraid I have to take the hit for that one, it was buried under a pile of other stuff that we were ringing up for firewood. End of day tired and in a hurry trying to get the piece I wanted uncovered just ended up pushing the bar into it whilst cutting one next to it. To be honest it's only a plunge type cut so not right through all the same a tad disappointing I must admit. But you are right so much decent material just gets wasted. The piece sitting vertically in the trailer is earnaked for a coffee van bar top so I'll be losing the damaged edge. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Big J said:

I frequently do big removal jobs straight across for the logs. When I tell the homeowner that its not going to cost them a dime they look at me like I am insane, until I explain to them the value of the logs once they are turned into lumber or slabs.  The tree in the pictures was one such job. Did 3 trees for the logs and walked with 16000-18000 board feet of extremely high quality redwood. I'm good with that!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Johnsond said:

Yeah Andy 

waste off local tree guy, bit of work to get it hone etc but better than seeing it chipped or burnt ?

Milled an Elm Butt just before I headed for Norway. Came down in the wind. Was in the process of being cut up for firewood but saved 2.8m of it. 

E4512FCE-92F2-4FDF-9243-A8B8D46AF47B.jpeg

32B17B2F-F141-4270-AB69-56FF49F53A68.jpeg

3D254C42-81F5-4ADF-AC88-F4602AC31337.jpeg

• Like 10