Jump to content

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, scbk said:

What part of the country, out of interest?

 

Snow drops here just starting to poke there heads up.

 

What I couldn't believe I saw last week (wish I'd taken a photo) was a rhododendron coming out into flower - the same week as hogmanay! Only about 4 months too early! O.o

This was in Sheffield, South Yorkshire. I haven't seen any Rhodi's in flower yet 'round there tho'. I'm off away North soon - so I'll keep an eye out - tho' growing temps are about to take a double dip, (perhaps).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Primroses up round me (in an area which the sun hasn't touched since September) and snow drops not far off. Had a rose come into bloom in December, though the flower has since died...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gorse was in flower here in November.....waaay earlier than usual, been walkin the dog in a T shirt since before christmas, even more unusual, no rain..no mud, hardly used a brolly all winter..........Guess there's time yet 🌩️

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been down to our Oak plantation with snowdrops below.  This photo is from last year but this years crop is just poking through and has great potential

IMG_0810.JPG

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Billhook said:

Just been down to our Oak plantation with snowdrops below.  This photo is from last year but this years crop is just poking through and has great potential

IMG_0810.JPG

Wow that is lovely, are they natural or planted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Wow that is lovely, are they natural or planted?

There were quite a few already but over the years we split the clumps and spread them a bit.  They are by the main road and quite a few are nicked, I suppose we can afford to lose a few!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Chessa said:

This was in Sheffield, South Yorkshire. I haven't seen any Rhodi's in flower yet 'round there tho'. I'm off away North soon - so I'll keep an eye out - tho' growing temps are about to take a double dip, (perhaps).

"perhaps"? ;)

we are borderline quite a significant cold period extending into February, the tangibles are already their, its just a matter of fine tuning? in the very least temps are gonna drop for all the UK which will be under some form of polar maritime air albeit and NW flow often veering and backing again from a NE, but as usual Scotland will be the frontrunner for any Snow, next weekend could be most eventful? ;)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, peckerwoo said:

"perhaps"? ;)

we are borderline quite a significant cold period extending into February, the tangibles are already their, its just a matter of fine tuning? in the very least temps are gonna drop for all the UK which will be under some form of polar maritime air albeit and NW flow often veering and backing again from a NE, but as usual Scotland will be the frontrunner for any Snow, next weekend could be most eventful? ;)

To lower the tone, longer range weather forecasts are on a par with Brexit forecasts.  There is a possibility of very harsh conditions and a possibility of a mild period, but it is very likely just to be colder and dull with occasional snow and ice just like every other February. We will come out of it ok and the Summer will come!

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.